Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    cgrant85
    Participant

So, I have set everything up and things seemed to be working fine. I mapped usb snes controller, rebooted and now I am stuck on the splash screen. No matter what I do, I can’t get to command line interface. I’m looking for help, if you need any more info, just let me. Thanks!!

cgrant85
    Participant

supernintendopi.wordpress.com/

Also, I am using supplies suggested from the link above. I can get to the command line by pressing f4. I can’t do anything after as it says there was an error loading the shell. All I can do is sudo shutdown.

tokenhole
    Participant

I’ve had the same issue once so far. I reloaded the image from scratch as it was the most clear cut solution.

In future make a backup images of your SD card. You can do this by using the “Read” function on Win32 Disk Imager. (The tool you probably used to write the image to your SD card with.)

That way if things go wrong or you make a mistake, you can just revert to a previous backup.

As for the cause of the freeze at the splash screen, I can’t help you there. Help seems to be scarce on this forum, so don’t get your hopes up.

I’m still trying to figure out how to get eduke32 and prboom to work on my 256MB Pi. Haven’t had any luck or help so far.

Good luck, and hope this helps you a little at least.

cgrant85
    Participant

Thanks for your insight, I appreciate the reply. I’ve been working on this for about a week. I know it will be worth it once I get it running. I have swapped parts a few times. I think my problem is my power supply. I am just using a standard motorola phone charger, which supplies 5V/850mA.

The Pi can run on 750mA, but I’ve been reading that any supply less than 1A can cause SD card corruption. Each time I have an issue, it is effectively due to card corruption.
    I plan to grab a stronger power supply (many recommend 2A, to cover the added peripherals). I’ll post back here if that fixes the issues, which I suspect it may.

TL;DR – I believe my power supply is the problem.

tokenhole
    Participant

The Pi Needs 700mA simply to function. It needs additional power to operate basic USB devices such as a keyboard.

Initially, I bough a cheap 1000mA adapter for mine, but it was only just good enough to operate the device and a keyboard. If I tried to connect anything else, (like a flash drive) it would freeze or fail to boot altogether.

I’m now using a genuine Nokia 1.2mA charger and it does the job perfectly. I can power a cheap 4-port USB hub passive 2 USB Gamepads and a USB Keyboard without any issues. I could possibly have added a mouse as well, but I haven’t tried it yet.

As for memory cards, it doesn’t seem to matter whether you use a class 4 or a class 10. Performance is the same either way.

tokenhole
    Participant

I meant 1200mA or 1.2A Nokia charger. ;)

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The forum ‘Everything else related to the RetroPie Project’ is closed to new topics and replies.