Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    jdnasser
    Participant

Hi, I am a 100% noob and have been trying to get my new pi up and running. I have read multiple places that using mame4all-pi runs much better. Although I am struggling to figure out how to install it. I have tried searching the forums but honestly the least bit of code goes over my head. So a few questions.
    Do I need to run the setup that takes 16 hours to install it?
    After that if need be, what’s my next step? I understand that I need to change some .cfg file but I am not exactly sure how to access it or when I try nothing seems to be there.
    If you could help me out I would GREATLY appreciate it. If you have any suggestions please just assume I know NOTHING about the pi haha. Sorry for being such a noob just trying to grasp everything and figure it all out. Thanks!!

Mutex
    Participant

mame4all-pi is installed with the image / binary install. It’s configured to be the default mame emulator in retropie.
    To see it in emulationstation you just need to add some roms to the mame folder in ~/Retropie/roms. Be aware that mame4all needs a 0.37b5 romset so make sure that the roms you are using are the right ones (google can help you with that).
    As soon as mame appears in emulationstation you can choose a rom and start playing. You can press “tab” on your keyboard in the emulator to change the button layout. You don’t have to change any config files by hand.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Im having trouble with this as well (100% noob as well). Have tried setting it up as suggested elsewhere in this forum by doing the following:
    Install mame4all-pi via the RetroPie setup script (Option 2 “Source based installation” then select only mame4all-pi)

However I get the following error after setup has finished:
    Could not successfully build_mame4all MAME emulator MAME4ALL-Pi (/home/pi/RetroPie-Setup/tmp/build/mame4all/mame not found).

I’ve attached the error log too.

help!

killer101
    Participant

Get away from installing anything over RetroPie Setup. If you flash the image to the SD card, you are already good to go with mame4all.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Point taken killer, however the reason I wanted to try was because the forum suggests this as a fix to the commonly encountered “missing file/File not found” error when trying to load roms. Although I admit I have not tested a wide variety of roms to see if they may be the issue, I do know of that I should only be using 0.37b5 versions.

Also I don’t have a mame4all folder, I only have mameadvance which led me to think that maybe it is not installed.

Any suggestions?

tipoto
    Participant

Any rom placed in the folder called “mame” will be launched using mame4all.

Roo
    Participant

[quote=90314]Point taken killer, however the reason I wanted to try was because the forum suggests this as a fix to the commonly encountered “missing file/File not found” error when trying to load roms. Although I admit I have not tested a wide variety of roms to see if they may be the issue, I do know of that I should only be using 0.37b5 versions. [/quote]

If you see this error, you do not have the proper MAME v0.37b5 roms. Upgrading or re-installing MAME4ALL will not fix that.

You really need to start from the 2.6 SD card image.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Looks like you’re right Roo. I found that the roms I had were incorrectly classified as 0.37b5. Everything is now working fine.

Thanks for your help

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The forum ‘Everything else related to the RetroPie Project’ is closed to new topics and replies.