Homepage Forums RetroPie Project Everything else related to the RetroPie Project Famicom Disk System – How to save your game?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi there,

I have everything working with the Famicom Disk emulation and I can load and play games but unfortunately, with games that support saving, I’m unable to save. I’ve tested this with both Zelda 1 and 2. When my character dies I select the ‘save’ option and both games correctly show my save file. But then after I press Select+Start and return to the game all of my save information has been erased. I’ve checked to make sure the game roms are not read-only and other then that I’m not really sure what else to try and I’d prefer not to use save-states.

Does anyone have suggestions on how I might be able to save my progress? Thanks!!

gizmo98
    Participant

If ingame save and load does not work use “select+R” to save a state and “select+L” to load a state.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hmm, I was hoping to avoid save-states. I’ve had no issues saving with NES and SNES games so far.

herbfargus

Have you tried different emulators?

Anonymous
    Inactive

Nestopia is the only emulator for famicom disc.

herbfargus

Ah, so it is, my bad. The only other thing I can think of that has happened with some other emulators is that the default saves go in the system folder which is not writable by user pi. One way to solve that is to sudo chown -R pi:pi /opt/retropie/libretrocores/lr-nestopia

Otherwise perhaps it’s time to learn to be content with savestates.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Cool, thanks for the tip! Sorry, I haven’t actually written any command lines into the pi before. After retropie loads do I press F4 then simply type your command? I’ll give it a try.

Also, after doing some research on the famicom disk, it sounds like saved games aren’t written to a separate bit of ram the way they are on NES and SNES carts and so a save file isn’t created in emulation. Instead, saves were written directly to the disk and in emulation the rom file itself is actually modified to store the save info. In any case, I’ll try your command line.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The forum ‘Everything else related to the RetroPie Project’ is closed to new topics and replies.