Homepage Forums RetroPie Project Everything else related to the RetroPie Project Exiting from emulators sometimes result in white screen

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    thefunkygibbon
    Participant

Sometimes…randomly …but happens a fair few times per session, exiting from an emulator back to emu station results in a white screen which you can do nothing about other than hard resetting the pi.

Any ideas?

herbfargus
    thefunkygibbon
    Participant

Yup thanks I’ve seen that already. Didn’t appear to be relavent but clearly it must be if you’re linking to it ….since my issue is when exiting. And most of the other ones are other white screen situations. (Starting, after adding ROMs…etc. None of which I have experienced)

Are you saying that the bug is causing all of these issues?
    Is there something which I can do which will stop it? Less ROMs? Less systems?

Any ETA on a fix? Is it ES related or RP related?

Cheers

herbfargus

If it is indeed the same issue (which it could be but I could be wrong) it is a bug related to emulationstation/ the raspberry pi’s lack of processing power. the only partial solutions I know of are to increase the GPU split or to decrease the amount of systems. I take it you are using the default ES theme? how many systems do you currently have on your setup? As far as your setup goes are you on an rpi2? did you start from a fresh 3.0 image or did you update to one? the more information you give the easier it is to narrow down what the issue might be.

thefunkygibbon
    Participant

Cool.
    Well I’m not running too many systems…maybe like 10. will check. There are systems on there which are there by default which I don’t use…such as scummvm and PC and ports. Can I get rid of those?
    Running on a Raspi 2 I’m already running 320mb GPU mem
    Running on the zoid theme as it seems the best. It’s just a background image per system though isn’t it? Will try going back to default but would be a shame if so.
    Was a fresh install of beta 3 I think which I have updated a few times.

herbfargus

yeah your theme is the issue: to test it you can go back to the default theme and see if you get the same results.

To give you an idea- if you take both themes: a typical background image for the simple theme is 720p and runs you about ~50kb and the zoid theme is 1080p and runs you about 500kb.

You may be able to run it through an image optimiser to take it down to 720p or at the very least minimise the file size but that’s probably the most likely thing causing your issue.

Also I made a simple video on how to remove the unwanted emulators. There are other ways of doing it too but I find my way simplest.

thefunkygibbon
    Participant

Ah OK.. Awesome. I’m only running at 768 since that’s what my proj can handle.
    Will do as you suggest and report back..prob wont be for a couple of days mind.

Thanks for the quick replies

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The forum ‘Everything else related to the RetroPie Project’ is closed to new topics and replies.