Homepage Forums RetroPie Project Everything else related to the RetroPie Project ESC key not working to exit game back to emulationstation

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    hazza4569
    Participant

Apologies in advance, as this is probably a very basic issue and I am very new to all of this and not very capable at all.

When I’m in a game, playing with a wired xbox 360 controller, I am unable to exit the game using the ESC key on the keyboard. The keyboard still works – I can use it to play the game instead of the controller, just I have no way of exiting the game short of pulling out the power cord.

Why isn’t this working? And how do I fix it?

Also I know there are lots of forums on it already from searching to answers to my first question, but could somebody maybe explain to me in very simple steps how to map the escape key to a controller key to exit the game?

Thanks for any and all help.

herbfargus

I am having the same issue, I’ve tested it a bit and it seems to be a problem with all of the libretro cores. The non libretro emulators seem to work fine to use escape to exit. Is it the same thing for you?

gizmo98
    Participant

Try:

cd RetroPie-Setup
    sudo ./retropie_packages.sh hotkeys

Option 3 should do the trick. RGUI opens if you press ESC. Select “Quit Retroarch” to close Retroarch.

Be aware if you plug in a controller with configured hotkeys it is necessary to press the input_enable_hotkey_btn (select) to enable keyboard hotkeys like exit (ESC) or RGUI (F1). Retroarch makes no difference between keyboard keys and joypad buttons.

herbfargus

Thanks for the quick response, it worked fine for me.

What about the nul bind though? as far as I understood it the nul value means you don’t have to press a key to enable the hotkey rather you can just press one key to process your function- does that no longer work?

for example

input_enable_hotkey = nul
    input_exit_emulator = escape
    hazza4569
    Participant

[quote=91517]Try:

cd RetroPie-Setup
    sudo ./retropie_packages.sh hotkeys

Option 3 should do the trick. RGUI opens if you press ESC. Select “Quit Retroarch” to close Retroarch.

Be aware if you plug in a controller with configured hotkeys it is necessary to press the input_enable_hotkey_btn (select) to enable keyboard hotkeys like exit (ESC) or RGUI (F1). Retroarch makes no difference between keyboard keys and joypad buttons.
    [/quote]

Thank you for the reply. When I enter that second command, it errors and says “No module ‘hotkeys’ found for platform rpi1”

Any idea on what to do? Sorry I’m so useless.

davejaca
    Participant

This is not a solution, but if you do get stuck in an emulator also try pressing Control+c. When escape didn’t work for me this usually did.

rubberfish613
    Participant

I am getting the EXACT same issue. It originally WAS working, until I updated the retropi-config script. Since doing so NO keyboard input works in game (e.g. Space for fast forward, f2/f4 for save states, etc.) and thus, I need to use CTRL+C to exit.. since this is not a clean exit, it won’t automatically save.. and since I can’t use save states, I essentially can’t save any progress.. Please, someone help D:
    Bump!

Edit: hazza4569: I tried your solution, and i found that everything except the exit function were set, which would be fine, as I could exit thru that menu, unfourtunately NONE of the keys work in game :/

herbfargus

I followed Gizmo’s solution but I selected to use ALT- so I just hold down alt and press escape and it exits fine. I’m still stumped as to why the nul bind no longer works though like it used to.

rubberfish613
    Participant

My hotkeys won’t work with any of the options.. only the RGUI if option 3 is selected.. where fastforward isn’t even an option..

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • The forum ‘Everything else related to the RetroPie Project’ is closed to new topics and replies.