Homepage Forums RetroPie Project Everything else related to the RetroPie Project Error when loading shared libraries libudev.so.1

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    cheeturbo7
    Participant

Hello –

I recently installed RetroPie using the disk images and am running into an issue running NES games from EmulationStation (I haven’t tested others yet). When I try to run a game it just goes back to EmulationStation.

I am getting the following error message in runcommand.log

/opt/retropie/emulators/retoarch/bin/retroarch: error while loading shared libraries: libudev.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Any suggestions on how to fix this?

petrockblog
    Keymaster

sudo apt-get install libudev-dev

sounds like you removed some packages it relies on or something else has happened.

cheeturbo7
    Participant

[quote=111906]sudo apt-get install libudev-dev

sounds like you removed some packages it relies on or something else has happened.

[/quote]

Unfortunately, this did not work.

libudev-dev is already the newest version.
    The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
    libcap-ng0 libdbus-glib-1-2 python-dbus python-dbus-dev
    Use 'apt-get autoremove' to remove them.
    0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.

I even went as far as formatting the SD card, re-downloading the images and started over but I am still receiving the same error message in runcommand.log

petrockblog
    Keymaster

hmm no-one else has reported this with the last images. Which image are you using ? are you doing any updates after writing etc ?

cheeturbo7
    Participant

I’m using the standard image found here: https://www.petrockblock.com/retropie/retropie-downloads/retropie-sd-card-image-for-raspberry-pi-2-2/ Which is the RetroPie SD-card image Version 3.2.1 for Raspberry Pi 2 Downloaded via torrent

After first boot I have been expanding the file system, overclocking to Pi2, setting GPU split, turn on SSH

Then updating the Raspi-config script and Retropie_Setup script

After that I have been doing
    apt-get update

Then doing the binary-based installation from the Retropie_Setup script.

jheth
    Participant

I ran into the exact same problem tonight after upgrading the retropie setup script and then doing a binary install to get all the latest changes.

I found /lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/libudev.so.0 and tried to symlink it to /lib/libudev.so.0 and /lib/libudev.so.1.

but after that I’m getting the error:

/opt/retropie/emulators/retroarch/bin/retroarch: /lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/libm.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.15′ not found (required by /opt/retropie/emulators/retroarch/bin/retroarch)

It seems like the apt-get update that happens during binary install may have removed some packages. Any ideas?

UPDATE:

I ended up upgrading rasbian to jessie, by editing /etc/apt/sources.list and changing wheezy to jessie, then sudo apt-get update, sudo apt-get upgrade. This installed the missing shared objects and GLIBC_2.15 requirement. Then I went through the reptropie binary install again.

After reboot emulationstation was now broken due to missing libboost.so, so I did apt-get install using the dependency list here found here http://emulationstation.org/gettingstarted.html

Now my nes games are launching as before. I haven’t played at length or tested other emulators though.

bubbles
    Participant

I also experienced this same issue today. Everything was working fine before the update, and now I can’t launch any retroarch emulators. I’m currently trying to build retroarch from source on my pi.

Update: Compiling from source seemed to fix the issue. I can now play NES games again. The SNES emulator loads the roms, but freezes. I’m going to attempt to recompile the SNES emulator over night.

petrockblog
    Keymaster

oh right, yeh don’t re-install from binaries at the moment, I am preparing a new release, and have been rebuilding some of the binaries. I just rebuilt retroarch and I need to revisit it (It’s possible I may have accidentally uploaded the jessie release to wheezy), so until it is fixed you can recompile it from source.

petrockblog
    Keymaster

BTW if starting from the 3.2.1 image, after downloading you shouldn’t need to update retropie-setup and re-install from binaries. Doing so will give you a snapshot of where we are at currently, but there can be problems sometimes, especially when close to a new release. Best done after we have just released a new version, as things will be more tested then.

petrockblog
    Keymaster

I also wouldn’t recommend updating to Jessie yet. Jessie support is still a work in progress.

petrockblog
    Keymaster

I have updated retroarch binaries. Please can you reinstall just retroarch from binary and let me know if it works for you. thanks.

jheth
    Participant

Any idea when jessie support will be available?
    What are the outstanding issues?
    How would I downgrade to wheezy?

petrockblog
    Keymaster

When it’s done. Maybe an image to test soon.

I still need to do more testing – you can see progress of development on the github repository.

Downgrading is not really possible – you can backup / start with a new image.

cheeturbo7
    Participant

[quote=111996]I have updated retroarch binaries. Please can you reinstall just retroarch from binary and let me know if it works for you. thanks.

[/quote]

Fixed the issue. Thanks Buzz you’re awesome.

cheeturbo7
    Participant

Getting an new error when attempting to run PiSNES, not sure if its related to the same issue.

/opt/retropie/emulators/pisnes/snes9x: error while loading shared libraries: libEGL.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Edit: Compiling from source fixed the issue.

petrockblog
    Keymaster

Likely due to me accidentally rebuilding that when I had the Raspbian mesa EGL libraries installed. I’ve rebuilt – please can you reinstall.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • The forum ‘Everything else related to the RetroPie Project’ is closed to new topics and replies.