Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

How do i enabled GenPlus-GX to be used for Megadrive games, as Picodrive and Degn has terrible audio emulation where GenPlus-gx is a much better emulator, but i cant see how i can enable it instead of Dgen or Picodrive?

jmaxime89
    Participant

Would be interested as well !

jmaxime89
    Participant

Got it,

cd RetroPie-Setup
    sudo retropiesetup.sh

Then in source based installation you’ll find Genesis Plus GX

after the install you’ll have a new folder where to put your rom into

Enjoy !

tommymsw
    Participant

Hey guys. I can not find GenPlus-GX. I’m assuming you wanted me to choose “5. install individual emulators from binary or source”? But there is only one Genesis option in there—Pico.

I chose “Source based installation” when I set this up (like a week ago) and I think that just installs EVERYTHING? I don’t remember it giving options. (I didn’t want to hit it because I am afraid it will just run the whole thing again)

Also, my command was sudo ./retropie_setup.sh if that changes anything?
    Thanks.

herbfargus

One thing I always forget- did you update the setup script first?

cd RetroPie-Setup
    sudo ./retropie_setup.sh
    Update setup script
    Reboot

Then proceed to do an individual emulator binary install.

edit! You need to do a full binary install not individual emulator install

tommymsw
    Participant

That worked man, thank you very much for the help.

tommymsw
    Participant

hm…. The roms won’t play. I get “runcommand line 283 not found” something like that. I am guessing it has to do with me setting the video mode correctly? Hitting “x”?

Any idea if that is correct? Or what I need to choose?

petrockblog
    Keymaster

you will need to do a full binary install, to a) get the latest runcommand b) update the emulators with their new configs, so they will be available to switch to when launching.

tommymsw
    Participant

I kind of got that far. Once I did a source, and it messed up, I realized I should do a binary… so I did. But that didn’t fix the problem. Do I need to delete the source download? And if so… then how? I got too greedy I think :)

taalas
    Participant

Just doing a binary installation will be fine. It will revert your current installation to the latest state using the precompiled binaries. After this you can choose Genesis GX as an emulator by pressing “x” or “m” after starting a rom (if it isn’t default already).

tommymsw
    Participant

Yea, I can hit “x” or “m” and it takes me to a place that I can pick the resolution. I’ve tried like 4 or 5 different ones but none of them seem to work. It just keeps spitting me back out to emulationstation. Is there a particular resolution I need to choose?

petrockblog
    Keymaster

if you did a full binary install, when it says to hit x or m it will also say that errors are logged to /tmp/runcommand.log – so you can check that file. if it doesn’t say that, you haven’t updated.

tommymsw
    Participant

Ungh… What the heck? I just can’t get it to work. Sonic is mocking me!!!

I:
    cd RetroPie-Setup
    sudo ./retropie_setup.sh
    Update setup script
    Reboot

then run the setup script again after reset. The first time when I ran it after the update, I got pages and pages of code before it opened. Every time after that when I update, it just starts. So I figure that means there are no updates and I have the latest?

Then I go to install individual emulators. I pick the GenPlus-GX one. I choose “binary”, some code flashes for half a second and I am back in the install emulators screen. I choose “cancel” to get back out, then I choose “reboot”.

After reboot, I try to play a Genesis game, I press “x”, a screen asks what resolution I want (I don’t know what to pick so I just pick randomly) and I get spit out to a black screen with an error that says “runcommand line 283 command not found” Then “Powering on HDMI with preferred settings” then I am spit back to emulationstation.

No mention of an error report and my /tmp/ directory is empty aside from 2 folders that are also empty. (This is the /tmp directory from the root.)

herbfargus

You’re choosing option 5 to install individual emulator by binary- you want to choose option 1 full binary install (it will take about 15 minutes.) Then reboot and try again with genesis. (Make sure your ROMs are unzipped as well just in case they are in a .zip)

See this video If there is any confusion:

petrockblog
    Keymaster

Recalbox has some excellent features. However, there is no need to be rude to other users. If you don’t have anything helpful to say, perhaps you should say nothing?

tommymsw
    Participant

Well, I wasn’t sure I should re-install ALL the emulators just to install the Genesis one. I did the “source” install like a week ago and waited the 20 or so hours. I feel as if I choose option 1, it will rewrite ALL the emulators to the binary? But if that is the only way to get Geneses working, I will do it.

herbfargus

It is the only way.

From buzz (who we have to thank for most of the code of retropie)

Some information regarding building from source:
    Plenty of the emulators are not updated too often – and the source is a static archive – so there is no newer version from building from source.

building things like retroarch and some libretro cores will get you the very latest code, but also the very latest bugs too (was broken on the pi for a period recently).

The binaries are updated quite often.

Binary installs will typically suffice for your needs plus they are much much faster.

tommymsw
    Participant

Well…. I thank you once again. It is working 100% now. Sorry for all the confusion. I added Genplus-Gx through the single emulator screen the first time (but from source) and it installed. So I just assumed I could also add it there from binary.

herbfargus

There have been a lot of updates in the code recently so it’s understandable. Now that you have it all funtioning you can give the 3.0 SD image a go (it just came out a few hours ago) :P

tommymsw
    Participant

ARGH!!! lol… Perfect timing! I must have been updating my script as 3.0 came out because the updated script had some of the new 3.0 features in it. So I had a little of 2 and a little of 3. It was all messed up! :)

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • The forum ‘Everything else related to the RetroPie Project’ is closed to new topics and replies.