Homepage Forums RetroPie Project New to RetroPie? Start Here! Enabling Atari 2600 emulation, is there a trick to it?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    dgreene
    Participant

Hi folks. I’ve been scouring the forums and the known universe (google) for a solution to this, and so far have come up with nothing. I’m a total noob to the pi, and retropie, and mame for that matter.
    After successfully getting sound out of my hdmi, loading a ton of mame roms, sega and nintendo roms, and neogeo, I thought I’d like to play some of the old Atari 2600 games. I have a ton of games for it, I’m wondering if I tried to go to far with them. I loaded about 550 roms in zip format into the 2600 folder on my usb, reinstalled in the pi, powered up. At the same time loaded neogeo roms. The neogeo roms were installed, the Atari ones were not as far as I can tell at least it’s not showing up in emulation station.
    Could use some help, I’m not sure where to even look to see if they were loaded, it’s likely I did something wrong.
    Running a Rpi 3B with a 32G card (class 10) with straight retropie image downloaded here. Very interesting project for me especially being that I grew up in the 70s with pong etc, DOS 1.0 on a IBM PC (ZORK!) and that sort of thing. Once I understand the system better I’m planning on either a cabinet build with old school controls, or a old 2600 case build with USB installed in the front controller ports to make my friends crazy (they are actual gamers unlike me, the throwback)
    Thanks for any help you can offer!

SomeCoolName
    Participant

The likely issue is that your ROMs are in zip format. According to the github page, the accepted file extensions are .bin .a26 .rom.

https://github.com/retropie/retropie-setup/wiki/Atari-2600

If you want to use this system, you are going to drop in ROMs with a different file format.

dgreene
    Participant

See? I knew I did something wrong. Thanks checking it out.

dgreene
    Participant

Lo and behold- if you UNZIP the files… all a26 files. THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!
    Reliving my childhood as we speak. Pitfall… still pretty awesome in 8 bit

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The forum ‘New to RetroPie? Start Here!’ is closed to new topics and replies.