Homepage Forums RetroPie Project Controller Configuration in RetroPie EmulatorStation is asking to reconfigure Gamepad at every startup

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Hey folks,

I have a problem with my RetroPie that I could not solve myself: I have a “Logitech F710 Wireless PC-Gamepad” connected to the Pi (the nano receiver is always connected).
    The problem is EmulatorStation is asking to reconfigure that Gamepad every time you start the Pi.

Is there a possibility to save the key mapping?

I really hope someone could help me solving that problem.
    Thanks in advance.

Greetings, André

Here are some basic information about my setup:
    Pi Model: 2B
    RetroPie Version Used: 3.18.11-V7+
    Built From: SD Image
    Controller used: Logitech F710 Wireless PC-Gamepad
    USB Devices connected: EDIMAX EW-7811UN Wireless USB Adapter / Logitech F710’s nano receiver

petrockblog
    Keymaster

Did you install from the last image (3.0 beta4), or update from an older version ? Have you done a full binary install if you have updated the script recently ?

petrockblog
    Keymaster

Also please post the contents of

~/.emulationstation/es_input.cfg
    ~/.emulationstation/es_input.cfg.bak
    ~/.emulationstation/es_temporaryinput.cfg

(via site like pastebin or similar)

s4turn3
    Participant

FYI, I have the same model gamepads, and I’m have the same issue. I have also have a PI2B. I installed 2.6 and upgraded the binaries to latest.

For me I don’t think its every-time, but it is most of the the time.

petrockblog
    Keymaster

Please start with a 3.0beta4 image – Far too much as changed since 2.6 to guarantee an automatic upgrade. Did you update the script before you updated the binaries ? You can’t just update the binaries on 2.6 as some of the binaries as set up for working with the latest script.

Anonymous
    Inactive

[quote=100981]Did you install from the last image (3.0 beta4), or update from an older version ? Have you done a full binary install if you have updated the script recently ?
    [/quote]
    I’ve downloaded the “RetroPie Project SD-card Image for Raspberry Pi 2 Version 3.0 BETA 3”. After I installed the image on my sd card I have done a full binary install over the “retropi_setup.sh (binary-based installation (recommended)”.

Is there an possibility to update to RetropieV3Beta4?

~/.emulationstation/es_input.cfg
    http://pastebin.com/rnFbn9V4
    ~/.emulationstation/es_input.cfg.bak
    http://pastebin.com/HxgiV29M
    ~/.emulationstation/es_temporaryinput.cfg
    http://pastebin.com/48vLBjhb

petrockblog
    Keymaster

you will need to update the retropie-setup script first, before running the full binary install. you are probably missing the scripts the new emulationstation needs

petrockblog
    Keymaster

having said that, you have an emulationstation input configuration present so it should be using that (and recognizing that is the config for your currently plugged in joypad).

please update retropie-setup script, then re-install emulationstation from binary (menu 5 in retropie-setup), and reboot. emulationstation should ask for controls to be configure again – please do that and then repost the above files.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Okay. I have updated the retropie-setup script, then re-install emulationstation from binary (menu 5 in retropie-setup), and reboot.
    Then I have configured the controls again. After a reboot (over emulationstation menu) is does not ask for a reconfiguration. But when I choose shutdown, it asks after a restart again.

Here is the content of the files before the reconfiguration of the gamepad:
    http://pastebin.com/uEzyjtTB

… and after the reconfiguration:
    http://pastebin.com/2mNQVEHD

petrockblog
    Keymaster

very odd – I’ll try and reproduce, but I have no idea currently why it might do that. I can only think that at the point of ES loading it doesn’t see the controller for whatever reason. If when it asks for controller configuration again, try pressing f4 to quit (and then a keyboard button to drop to terminal), then unplug and plug controller back in, wait some moments, and reload emulationstation (by typing emulationstation) – does it still ask ? is this consistent or not ?

petrockblog
    Keymaster

it would also help if you could try with a wired controller, so we know if it’s specific to this device. I have a feeling it’s due to ES starting before the controller is fully “configured” (the test above exsiting/restarting will help to determine that)

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hey buzz,

thanks for your reply. I have tested your suggestions:

* As I mentioned before, ES is not asking for controller reconfiguration after I press “Restart” inside of ES menu. But it does ask if I choose “Shutdown” and reboot by pulling out the plug and then back in.

* I also tried to press F4 (then a keyboard button to drop to terminal), then unplug and plug controller back in, wait some moments, and reload emulationstation. It still asks for reconfiguration of the “Logitech Cordless RumblePad 2” :(

* Then I tried to use a wired controller. With a wired controller everything works well. It only asks for configuration once and even after a power reset it keeps the configuration.

* I am not sure, but I seem to remember that had no such problems with the Beta 1.

Hopefully we will find a solution. It is really annoying and I am not the only one with this problem with F710,

petrockblog
    Keymaster

I dont know if I can help fix it without reproducing the problem – and I would need the controller for that.

the above doesn’t seem to make much sense as restarting emulationstation is the same as quitting it and reloading. I still suspect its a timing thing.

you could editing /usr/bin/emulationstation (sudo nano /usr/bin/emulationstation) and add “sleep 10” around the second line and see if that helps ?

lividhatter
    Participant

I have this same problem with ps3 controllers. Its because the controllers are totally connected by the time ES loads.

thomet
    Participant

Hi I have the same Issue with this controller. But I think I know why Emulation station not always ask for reconfiguration. It looks like the controller goes into a sleep mode, when you press no key for such time. And when the controller is in this sleep mode, Emulation station ask for reconfiguration on start. But when you activate you controller (press logitech button) before emulation station is loaded, the dialog for reconfiguration isn’t shown.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Easy Fix, you need to trick Emulation Station into thinking something static that is always plugged in (a keyboard) is already configured. I edited my es_input.cfg file in ~/.emulatinostation and added a dummy keyboard. With a keyboard entry present in the configuration it will never ask you to configure a controller on reboot. That way i can reboot my Pi without having to worry about if my PS4 controller is connected via bluetooth or not.

<inputConfig type="keyboard" deviceName="Keyboard">
        <input name="start" type="button" id="9" value="1"/>
      </inputConfig>
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • The forum ‘Controller Configuration in RetroPie’ is closed to new topics and replies.