Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • dayfather
    Participant
    Post count: 9

    For no apparent reason emulation station is completely crashing when I load the rom list for SNES and Sega Mega Drive games. I’m at a loss for why as I haven’t changed any settings and I haven’t added any new SNES roms since I last used it, I have added Sega MD roms but I don’t see how that would affect the SNES game list. Listing Gameboy and Gameboy Advanced roms works fine.

    I would have liked to troubleshoot the issue myself before posting but I can’t find any relevant logs other then es_log.txt which doesn’t contain any relevant errors. Are there any other log files I can check and where are they located?

    I’m running RetroPi alongside OSMC with mcobit’s script on a Pi2.

    Floob
    Member
    Post count: 1629

    I cant remember the filename off the top of my head, but itll be in
    /home/pi/.emulationstation/

    The other log will be in /tmp/

    dayfather
    Participant
    Post count: 9

    Ok I’ve made some progress, first of all I noticed that I’d accidentally put all my Mega Drive roms in the Master System rom directory so I moved them. For some reason listing SNES roms seems to works again (or it always worked and I’m just confused) but attempting to list Mega Drive roms now crashes emulation station. I ran emulation station directly from command line instead of launching from OSMC and was then able to see the error it threw up on exit.

    [code]
    emulationstation: /home/pi/RetroPie-Setup/tmp/build/emulationstation/es-core/src/resources/Font.cpp:129: static UnicodeChar Font::readUnicodeChar(const string&, std:size_t&): Assertation '(c & 0xC0) != 0x80' failed

    /usr/bin/emulationstation: line 16: 479 Aborted $es_bin "$@"
    [/code]

    I’m assuming that there’s something wrong with one of the rom file names but looking through them I can’t see anything that stands out.

    I just removed any non-ASCII characters with the following script:
    [code]
    find /home/osmc/RetroPie/roms/megadrive -type f -print0 | \
    perl -n0e '$new = $_; if($new =~ s/[^[:ascii:]]/_/g) {
    print("Renaming $_ to $new\n"); rename($_, $new);
    }'
    [/code]

    It found one file name with a non-ASCII character, I can’t check if it worked since I’m at work ssh’s to my Pi (I’m a terrible employee, I know) but I’ll let you know if it solved the problem in case anyone else is experiencing a similar issue.

    dayfather
    Participant
    Post count: 9

    hmmm the code tag seems to be broken.

    Error was:
    emulationstation: /home/pi/RetroPie-Setup/tmp/build/emulationstation/es-core/src/resources/Font.cpp:129: static UnicodeChar Font::readUnicodeChar(const string&, std:size_t&): Assertation ‘(c & 0xC0) != 0x80’ failed

    /usr/bin/emulationstation: line 16: 479 Aborted $es_bin “$@”

    Script to remove non-ASCII characters was:
    find /home/osmc/RetroPie/roms/megadrive -type f -print0 | \
    perl -n0e ‘$new = $_; if($new =~ s/[^[:ascii:]]/_/g) {
    print(“Renaming $_ to $new\n”); rename($_, $new);
    }’

    dayfather
    Participant
    Post count: 9

    Removing non-ASCII characters didn’t work, emulationstation still crashes when I try to list megadrive roms. Any ideas what the problem is?

    dayfather
    Participant
    Post count: 9

    I’ve done some further testing and it apparently has nothing to do with the file names. I tried removing all the roms in the directory and created a single “dummy” rom file test.bin, emulationstation still crashes when I try to list the megadrive roms.

    I now have no idea what the problem could be, any help?

    Floob
    Member
    Post count: 1629

    Does it happen if you use a clean RetroPie 3 image from the download page?

    InsecureSpike
    Participant
    Post count: 571

    post up your problem gamelist.xml files and someone will take a look over them, if you like, I don’t mind looking over them later

    you could also test deleting ALL your gamelist.xml’s and see that solves the issue (back them up before hand)

    dayfather
    Participant
    Post count: 9

    The megadrive gamelist.xml file was just the default one.

    I tried deleting all gamelist.xml’s but the issue still appears

    dayfather
    Participant
    Post count: 9

    OK some more details it’s seems the issue appears whenever attempting to choose Mega Drive, NES or PC from the main emulationstation menu. I know for a fact that choosing NES worked a few days ago so somethings changed since then.

    dayfather
    Participant
    Post count: 9

    Fixed it!

    There was a problem with one of the file names in my NES roms. I ran my the script to remove all non-ASCII characters, one file was renamed and now everything works fine. Wired that it affected the MegaDrive and PC menues though.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • The forum ‘Everything else related to the RetroPie Project’ is closed to new topics and replies.