Homepage Forums RetroPie Project Ideas for Further Enhancements Easy method to update Retropie

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    g0nz0uk
    Participant

Hello,

I think think future releases should have an option to upgrade rather than having to download and start again. It can take a long to to transfer all the custom configs and roms.

Is there a guide to transfer all the necessary files to the latest version?

herbfargus
    g0nz0uk
    Participant

So this will make my 3.1 install update to 3.2.1?

herbfargus

Make a backup just in case, transfer all the files you want to keep from samba shares to your pc, then do a full binary install, copy your files back over and you should be good to go.

g0nz0uk
    Participant

Doing the samba backup now (10GB), this is great. I also have an old 2.6 Retropie, can I also use this method to update 2.6 to 3.2.1?

herbfargus

2.6 is more difficult as the file paths have changed a bunch. Best thing to do is just start with a fresh image and just reconfigure controls as they are much easier to configure than they were for 2.6.

g0nz0uk
    Participant

what is the best way to show what version I am running, so I can do a before and after check?

g0nz0uk
    Participant

Thanks I will do that and what is the best method to check the version I am on? I have a number of sd cards with retropie on.

herbfargus

It’s hard to check a version as retropie is modular and pieced together from so many systems. I honestly just always start with a fresh image, but I don’t play my pi often enough to merit enough customisations that I’d worry about losing anything in an update.

But as long as you’ve updated your setup script before a full binary install and it doesn’t throw any errors you can probably safely assume you’re on the latest version.

g0nz0uk
    Participant

Thanks, yes everything seems to be ok, many thanks.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • The forum ‘Ideas for Further Enhancements’ is closed to new topics and replies.