Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    qrayg
    Participant

Is there a modern tutorial on how to get the DS4 controller set up wirelessly with RetroPie version 3+?

I see a lot of references to the ds4drv project, but everyone says it lags too much. I tried following a bunch of tutorials but they are all from RetroPie 2.3-ish and it seems that the new 3+ version do not have the same dependencies. The instructions fail every time from a fresh install of RP. When I launch bluetoothctrl I cannot type the commands from the tutorials. I’ve also tried in vain to replace Bluez 4.99 with the latest 5+ version (5+ has full support for DS4 natively)… nothing works.

I love the ease of pairing a DS3 controller, I’d like the same ease with pairing a DS4 controller.

On that same line, will we ever get Bluez 5+ in RP or is 4.99 the best we can get?

qrayg
    Participant

I think I figured it out myself… I’m not sure if this is the correct way, but it is the only way I could get it to connect and reconnect after turning off the controller. Also, if a PS3 controller was already paired this method did not work (not sure why)… this only works on a fresh RP image and was tested on v3.0 B4:

# SSH or go the command line:

# Install/Launch PiAssist

$ wget https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Death259/PiAssist/master/PiAssist.sh
    $ chmod +x PiAssist.sh
    $ sudo ./PiAssist.sh

# Pair Controller via Bluetooth menu, very simple

# Edit rc.local

$ sudo nano /etc/rc.local

# Paste the following after “this file does nothing…”

#!/bin/bash
    hciconfig device up
    hciconfig set name raspberrypi-0
    hciconfig set class 0x420100
    hciconfig enable iscan
    hciconfig enable pscan

# Change class to value from /var/lib/bluetooth/xxx/config
    # This whole bit allows reconnection later without having to re-pair

# Save/Exit
    CTRL + X, Y, Return

# Reboot
    $ sudo reboot

pgardella
    Participant

You said we should use the xxx from /var/lib/bluetooth/xxx/config for the set class line. But the value from that directory is six hex pairs. Which ones do we use?

qrayg
    Participant

You need to open the config file from within your MAC address folder and use the value from the class line. I just used xxx as the folder name since everyone’s MAC address is different. I guess the more accurate folder name example would be xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx. The folder name is irrelevant though, you want the class value from the config file.

robertus
    Participant

[quote=101970]You need to open the config file from within your MAC address folder and use the value from the class line. I just used xxx as the folder name since everyone’s MAC address is different. I guess the more accurate folder name example would be xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx. The folder name is irrelevant though, you want the class value from the config file.

[/quote]

Hi man, im goign to crazy, i can’t connect my DualShock4 original on my raspberry pi 2 and retropie.

sudo ./PiAssist.sh
    then 2 Bluetooth, 2 connect bluetooth device, scanning… i press and hold ps button, but doesn’ recognize….

i tried to put bluetooth on my Phone (nexus 5) and is recognize, so dongle seems work fine.

Please can you help me ? :(

i have also another controller, shanwan controller ps3 fake controller and also not work.

i hope in your support

thanks a lot

qrayg
    Participant

To put a Dual Shock 4 controller into pair mode you need to press PS + Share button.

robertus
    Participant

that’s right, my fault

anyway now i can see the device but when i tried to pair it, i have this error:

ERROR:dbus.proxies:Introspect error on :1.3:/: dbus.exceptions.DBusException: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoReply: Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.
    Traceback (most recent call last):
      File "/usr/bin/bluez-simple-agent", line 102, in <module>
        path = manager.FindAdapter(args[0])
      File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/dbus/proxies.py", line 70, in __call__
        return self._proxy_method(*args, **keywords)
      File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/dbus/proxies.py", line 145, in __call__
        **keywords)
      File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/dbus/connection.py", line 651, in call_blocking
        message, timeout)
    dbus.exceptions.DBusException: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoReply: Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.
    ERROR:dbus.proxies:Introspect error on :1.3:/: dbus.exceptions.DBusException: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoReply: Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.
      File "/usr/bin/bluez-test-device", line 28, in <module>
        adapter_path = manager.DefaultAdapter()
        **keywords)
      File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/dbus/connection.py", line 651, in call_blocking
        message, timeout)
    dbus.exceptions.DBusException: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoReply: Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.

after these errors i have this message:
    Bluetooth device has been connected

but i started retropie and i press ps button but device flash and doesn’t connect via bluetooth and i must connected via usb :(

i waste my days without success :/

qrayg
    Participant

As stated in my original post “this only works on a fresh RP image and was tested on v3.0 B4”. If you tried to pair a different controller then it probably won’t work. Also, if you are not using B4 then it might not work. This is just a post to help point people in the right direction. If it doesn’t work for you, then it doesn’t work. That’s the nature of Linux. I ended up getting mine to work on a FRESH image with nothing else installed or paired so I tried to help others so maybe someone can find a better method. This is not a definitive set of instructions.

robertus
    Participant

Oh i see

i tried infact in a fresh retropie image, 3.0 RC1, last version

the message is that the controller connected but there are some error and infact controller doesn’t work

Creating device failed: org.bluez.Error.AlreadyExists: Already Exists
      File "/usr/bin/bluez-test-input", line 40, in <module>
        input.Connect()
        **keywords)
        message, timeout)
    dbus.exceptions.DBusException: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.UnknownMethod: Method "Connect" with signature "" on interface "org.bluez.Input" doesn't exist

I’m so sorry for the disturb, i only find a way to set up my retropie in bluetooth and i see that is impossible, very frustrating, i don’t know how…

thanks anyway for reading

oscar-caballero
    Participant

Hi man, I have two issues

The first one my controller is a liiiiiiitle bit lag.

And second how on earth do I configure the second controller??

qrayg
    Participant

Here’s a more detailed setup process. I’ve successfully paired my DS4 controller from a fresh RP install many times using this process:

# Launch RetroPie Setup

# Pair Controller via Bluetooth menu in Retropie Setup, very simple
    # Press Ps + Share button on controller to put into pair mode

# Edit file, x = your MAC address, which is different for every controller
    sudo nano /var/lib/bluetooth/xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx/config

# Copy "class" value from config file
    # In my case, my controller class value was "0x420100"

# Edit file
    sudo nano /etc/rc.local

# Paste after "this file does nothing…"
    # Make sure class value = class value from previous step

#!/bin/bash
    hciconfig device up
    hciconfig set name raspberrypi-0
    hciconfig set class 0x420100
    hciconfig enable iscan
    hciconfig enable pscan

# Save/Exit
    CTRL + X, Y, Return

# Reboot
    sudo reboot

# Run through the normal controller configurations
    # edit /opt/retropie/configs/all/retroarch.cfg
    # find this area and set the values
    input_player1_left_btn = "h0left"
    input_player1_right_btn = "h0right"
    input_player1_up_btn = "h0up"
    input_player1_down_btn = "h0down"

infinitr
    Participant

Hello,

Trying to follow this. After I paired the DS4 controller in RetroPie Setup, I got the MAC address, but I do not see a folder in /var/lib/bluetooth with that MAC address. The only one I see is for the bluetooth dongle. Do you mean the dongle MAC?

If so I set everything up, DS4 pairs, but is not responsive in RetroPie.

nonsense
    Participant

Hi there,

I am also having trouble using Dual Shock 4 controller with RetroPie.

Running bluetoothctl shows that the BT dongle and the joystick controller as paired:

pi@retropie:/dev/input $ bluetoothctl
    [NEW] Controller 5C:F3:70:70:4B:F3 raspberrypi-0 [default]
    [NEW] Device AC:FD:93:BC:9F:6D Wireless Controller

The device appears in /dev/input , but it is not working when trying to test it with jstest

pi@retropie:/dev/input $ ls -la
    total 0
    drwxr-xr-x   2 root root     100 Jan 24 18:03 .
    drwxr-xr-x  14 root root    3260 Jan 24 18:03 ..
    crw-rw----+  1 root input 13, 64 Jan 24 18:03 event0
    crw-rw----+  1 root input 13,  0 Jan 24 18:03 js0
    crw-rw----   1 root input 13, 63 Jan 24 18:00 mice

It appears to be configured at /var/lib/bluetooth:

root@retropie:/var/lib/bluetooth/5C:F3:70:70:4B:F3/AC:FD:93:BC:9F:6D# cat info
    [LinkKey]
    Key=EA60FC62A17B3BBD89485F181C64F63E
    Type=4
    PINLength=0

[General]
    Name=Wireless Controller
    Class=0x002508
    SupportedTechnologies=BR/EDR;
    Trusted=true
    Blocked=false
    Services=00001124-0000-1000-8000-00805f9b34fb;00001200-0000-1000-8000-00805f9b34fb;

[DeviceID]
    Source=2
    Vendor=1356
    Product=1476
    Version=256

Emulation Station shows that “1 gamepad detected”, but clicking any button doesn’t do anything, so ES is stuck on that screen.

Last but not least, I had to remove sixad, because it was conflicting with the bluetoothd.

Any ideas how to fix this?

nonsense
    Participant

Actually I had forgotten to install the “ds4drv” drivers for Dual Shock 4. It works like a charm now. This tutorial explains how to install the drivers: https://www.petrockblock.com/forums/topic/tutorial-retropie-with-dualshock-4-and-bluetooth/

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • The forum ‘Controller Configuration in RetroPie’ is closed to new topics and replies.