Homepage Forums RetroPie Project Everything else related to the RetroPie Project (Dragon's Lair, Space Ace, etc.) Anyone interested in Daphne laserdisc system?

Viewing 18 posts - 106 through 123 (of 123 total)
  • Author
    jwesterman
    Participant

That would help a bozo like me. Is it a hard requirement to have a single dle21.m2v file and a single dle21.ogg file. In other words if I have the DVD files (multiple .m2v and .ogg) should install on Windows in order to obtain a single .mv2 file and a single .ogg file?

tfphumorblog
    Participant

[quote=120293]That would help a bozo like me. Is it a hard requirement to have a single dle21.m2v file and a single dle21.ogg file. In other words if I have the DVD files (multiple .m2v and .ogg) should install on Windows in order to obtain a single .mv2 file and a single .ogg file?

[/quote]

Not sure if this is the BEST way, but I was in the same situation. Instead of trying to figure out how to rip from the DVDs, I just downloaded the Daphne Loader and grabbed all their already existing files. You’ll need the DVDs to verify that you own DL, DL 2, Space Ace, etc. Then Daphne Loader does all the work downloading the files.

jwesterman
    Participant

Thanks for helping a clown. Quick question, is it only possible to play by keyboard or does this support 8Bitdo NES30 Pro Wireless controllers?

shmoopty
    Participant

Quick answer – You can use your controller. [See this post, linked from the top of the thread]

jwesterman
    Participant

You have done the heavy lifting. Thank you! My shell scripting is a bit deficient. So if I drop the script: /opt/retropie/supplementary/emulationstation/scripts/configscripts/daphne.sh into place (or it may just reside here (at work right now)) does it get run or referenced automatically when launching from within Emulation Station? I notice this cool shell script has two functions: onstart_daphne_joystick() and function map_daphne_joystick(). I can run the jstest to find my pad keys – $ jstest /dev/input/js0

Looking forward to helping Dirk the Daring save Daphne. As a 9 year old I could not afford the quarters.

shmoopty
    Participant

Just put the file there and start RetroPie up again.

jwesterman
    Participant

Thanks so much, can’t wait to try this out!

jwesterman
    Participant

Pleased to report the instructions here worked and can play Dragons Lair on my PI! Thank you all. The joystick mappings are not functioning so I may need to connect my bluetooth joystick run DaphneLoader.exe from within Windows –> Game –> Configure Daphne Options –> Input so I can get the key codes for use in the dapinput.ini file. Issue with jstest output is getting it to match like a the keylist codes which looking at my 8BitdoNES30Pro.cfg file under /opt/retropie/configs/all/retro-archjoypads has values some of which are string values and negative values. As a noob I’m guessing these 2 files are not apples to apples what I need to learn how to interpret and extrapolate the jstest results better into the dainput.ini file. Cheers.

tfphumorblog
    Participant

I’m running a raspberry pi 3 and can’t get any of them to play smoothly. Does anyone have a general command parameters suggestion that should play DL, DL2, SA, TQ?

Right now I don’t have a X.commands file in any of the folders so I’m guessing this is what tweaks everything to playable status.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

shmoopty
    Participant

I wonder if your SD card is the cause. Do you know what class the card is?

A Raspberry Pi 2 should run these games smoothly, at least with a class 10 card. I haven’t tried slower cards.

tfphumorblog
    Participant

[quote=121175]I wonder if your SD card is the cause. Do you know what class the card is?

A Raspberry Pi 2 should run these games smoothly, at least with a class 10 card. I haven’t tried slower cards.

[/quote]

Class 10. Brand new 64gb. Definitely a fast sd. Any other reasons come to mind? Thanks!

iesposta
    Participant

I keep my output rez low and the game buffer low because it is Standard Def video, then upscale it with scan lines.
    Maybe you are having the Pi2 upscale more than it can handle?

tfphumorblog
    Participant

[quote=121183]I keep my output rez low and the game buffer low because it is Standard Def video, then upscale it with scan lines.
    Maybe you are having the Pi2 upscale more than it can handle?

[/quote]

Care to share your command parameters? I’m on a Pi 3 and just using whatever Daphne defaults to. Thanks!

iesposta
    Participant

The info is there in the first and second pages of this thread, but I make it clearer.
    The folder:
    /home/pi/RetroPie/roms/daphne/
    contains the folders of each game and a roms folder. The game folder is named what the name of the rom is (there are different roms for Dragon’s Lair, and naming the zipped roms different name lets you have different game folders).

My case I have the 2.5 altered roms, but I chose just to name it: lair.zip

So that makes my game folder lair.daphne/
    which holds vid/sound files:
    lair.m2v lair.ogg
    the frame file: lair.txt
    And a text file named: lair.commands

which contains:
    -nocrc -noissues -nolog -noserversend -latency 950 -x 640 -y 480 -bank 1 00110111 -bank 0 10011000

iesposta
    Participant

-nocrc quiets the error that I’m ising ROMs that reorder the game to the progression of the animation storyline.

-nolog should be added when it is working the way you like, and don’t need to read a log file for errors.

-noserversend I don’t even know if it builds with this feature. Possibly not needed.

-latency 950 (milliseconds) does not work in this build the last I checked the logs, but it is for adjusting the endings of the scene clips.

-x 640 -y 480 is setting a screen size, probably redundant since you can choose the output resolution and the buffer resolution when launching.

-bank 1. And -bank 0
    are dip switch settings. I forget what exactly they do, but it at least gives 5 lives per credit, not 3 lives.

Lots of arcades had 3 lives for 2 quarters. The first popular game I saw that could get the 50¢ per game.

srfrboybob
    Participant

I am currently running Dragons lair on a pi3 3.6 retropie. Thank you for all the helpful tips here. I am still having issues with my 8bitdo nes pro 30 controllers withe the daphne emulator. The controller work great with the keyboard and the controller works once I add coins and press player one start. Unfortunately, I can not get these buttons to map. I have add the buttons from the jstest I ran (and +1 to each number as daphne states). I also added the auto mapping but no luck. Any suggestions to map the coin and start buttons?

Oh and during the menu videos the controller only pauses the game. It doesn’t matter what button.

tfphumorblog
    Participant

Okay, I have DL, DL2, TQ, and SA in the folder. Actually, after parsing the video files and running it a few times, it actually runs pretty smooth out of the box (no special command line file) through a Pi3 running the most current source install of Daphne. I’m going to tweak a little with command line parameters, and I’ll report back. For some reason my lair2.txt file must be corrupted or incorrect, but that’s probably just a dumb mistake I made. :)

I do need to assign a “quit” button, but that’s pretty simple to do.

Thanks again to the devs. Because of them I went out and bought the games above so I could pull the rom files from Daphne Loader. If anyone needs those DVDs, let me know! Thanks!

herbfargus

If anyone needs the DVDs they can buy them.

Viewing 18 posts - 106 through 123 (of 123 total)
  • The forum ‘Everything else related to the RetroPie Project’ is closed to new topics and replies.