Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I have NO IDEA how to run dos games using retro pie… when I searched the forums, I only came up with a number of people in my situation. There’s talk of a rpix86 folder that I can’t find, a fastdosbox that also is nowhere to be found, and no help anywhere. Can anyone lead me in the right direction? I’m sure that there must be SOME way to run Dos games on RetroPie, right? Thanks for the help. Cheers.

mac2298
    Participant

bump

dudleydes
    Participant

The first thing I did was install DosBox on my desktop. That way, I familiarised myself with how a DOS emulator works. You can follow the tutorial at the DosBox wiki to get you started. There are plenty more tutorials and videos available online to help.

rpix86 is the faster emulator as well as being the default emulator in ES so you may want to try this first on your pi. You need to place your unzipped game folders in the ~/RetroPie/roms/pc folder and they should appear in ES. Then check out the tutorial for using rpix86.

FastDosBox is an optimised version of DosBox for the pi so it should run in the same way. If you want to try it, then you will need to change the shell command (<command> section) for PC(x86) in es_systems.cfg to

<command>/opt/retropie/emulators/fastdosbox-1.5src/dosbox</command>
    Bear in mind, I have not tested the DOS emulators in Retropie. I am still playing around with them in Rasbpian so I can get to grips with how they work before I’ll be happy to introduce them to my Retropie build.

mac2298
    Participant

Great, thanks! That helps a ton. I’ll try it out now!

mac2298
    Participant

So, I put my files in the appropriate folder, but the only thing that shows in emulation station is 3 of the games in the IBM folder. How do I get the rpix86 emulator to show?

Also, how do I access the rpix86 tutorial? Is it somewhere online? Thanks.

dudleydes
    Participant

What happens if you launch one of the games?

The formatting on this forum doesn’t make clear where a link is. Click the text “tutorial for using rpix86” in my previous post to find the tutorial.

mac2298
    Participant

I can’t launch it; when I select an option, it has two files, e.g. ._CODES, CODES. When I try selecting one of the files, it brings me to the rpix 86 emulator. It’s fine if that’s how I have to start it, but it would be nice if there was either a way to start Rpix86 from a direct section within ES or if the game would just start when I click it. Any thoughts? Is this how it’s supposed to work?

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction for the tutorial!

mac2298
    Participant

bump.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The forum ‘Everything else related to the RetroPie Project’ is closed to new topics and replies.