Homepage Forums RetroPie Project Everything else related to the RetroPie Project Do I need Raspbian and Retropie?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    danbeast94
    Participant

So I am brand new to this raspberry pi thing and I have little idea as to what to do. I was wondering if I needed to download Raspbian and Retropie separately or does Retropie come with Raspbian. Any help would be greatly appreciated, and save me from a lot of stress.
    Thanks

djppimp
    Participant

just download the sd image of retropie, thats all you need

herbfargus

Retropie is built on raspbian. Download the SD image and you’ll be fine. It lacks the desktop GUI lxde but that can be installed as needed (thoug you really don’t need it for retropie)

danbeast94
    Participant

Thanks very much!

methanoid
    Participant

[quote=94763]Retropie is built on raspbian. Download the SD image and you’ll be fine. It lacks the desktop GUI lxde but that can be installed as needed (thoug you really don’t need it for retropie)

[/quote]

Ah, and Raspbian isn’t yet fully optimized for Pi2…. I was hoping the Pi2 images for RetroPie would be fully optimized. I am looking to base my Pi2 setup on an optimized Linux, with RetroPie, Kodi, Desktop and Steam Streaming amongst the options to select.

Is installing desktop GUI as simple as “sudo apt-get install lxde” ??

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘Everything else related to the RetroPie Project’ is closed to new topics and replies.