Homepage Forums RetroPie Project Everything else related to the RetroPie Project Differences between MAME COMMAND

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    bruized
    Participant

I was wondering if anyone could explain the differences between running MAME with the command
    COMMAND=/home/pi/RetroPie/supplementary/runcommand/runcommand.sh 4 "/home/pi/RetroPie/emulators/mame4all-pi/mame %BASENAME%"
    and
    COMMAND=/home/pi/RetroPie/emulators/RetroArch/installdir/bin/retroarch -L /home/pi/RetroPie/emulatorcores/imame4all-libretro/libretro.so --config /home/pi/RetroPie/configs/all/retroarch.cfg --appendconfig /home/pi/RetroPie/configs/mame/retroarch.cfg %ROM%
    in es_systems.cfg

With the first one, everything runs smoothly, but MAME doesn’t pick up my PS3 Controller which works fine in the menus to select the ROM. The second command correctly uses the ps3 controller.

The main thing I was wondering was whether there was any other difference other than retroarch.cfg being loaded as a config file. A bunch of things change when running the second command, including aspect ratio (contra gets stretched to 4:3), but the main thing is everything runs a lot slower. Is this something to do with some settings in the retroarch config file, or something else. I haven’t had a chance to delve through what each setting does in the retroarch config, I just added the ps3 controller inputs.

Where are the controls loaded from when running the first command? I tried to edit them through the in game menu opened through TAB, but the input settings wouldn’t change when trying to change the input buttons to the controller.

I’m using the ps3 controller via bluetooth if that makes a difference.

jmaxime89
    Participant

Those a two different emulators;

the first one is mame4all pi and is the best for a raspberry pi

the second is imame4all which, as you stated, is very laggy.

For the control mapping on mame4all pi I totally have the same issue, however my two snes controllers work A1 but when I try to play 4 players with my ps3 controllers the emulator doesn’t picks up any of my input.

bruized
    Participant

Thanks! Probably should’ve noticed that too since it says imame4all in the second command, but I missed the i at the beginning haha. Now I need to figure out why mame4all won’t work with the ps3 controller. Gonna look around for another controller to see that joystick input works for me at all.

Does anyone know where the controller settings are saved for mame4all so I can try editing them like the retroarch.cfg?

nemo93
    Participant

hi,

to edit controller settings within mame4all you need a keyboard connected to your Pi (at least the first time you launch mame4all) and hit “TAB” key. This will bring a menu where you’ll be able to setup your key bindings. Worth to note that mame4all keeps the controller settings in a binary format under the “mame4all/cfg” folder.

hope this helps.
    cheers,

dudleydes
    Participant

Hi bruized

There is an ongoing discussion on getting a PS3 controller working with mame4all at the following thread.

mame-controls-ps3-wireless-gamepad

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘Everything else related to the RetroPie Project’ is closed to new topics and replies.