Homepage Forums RetroPie Project New to RetroPie? Start Here! Delays starting up and shuttong down in 3.6

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    gamesfan
    Participant

Team,
    I have been running 3.5 but as the coin issue was fixed, I took a stab at adding in MAME and FBA roms to the system. Prior to this with ES configured with NES,SNES,Genesis,GBA,32x,tg16 etc. The system took about 30\45 seconds to fully boot up and shutdown.

With the addition of FBA and MAME (thousands of roms) the system takes about 2 minutes to both boot up and shutdown.

Would the amount of Roms have anything to do with the new founded startup and shutdown times. The addition of the systems,roms, and 3.6 version are the only changes I have recently made.

BH

dankcushions
    Participant

You got it :) this question has come up a few times so I added a FAQ: https://github.com/RetroPie/RetroPie-Setup/wiki/FAQ#why-does-shut-down-and-reboot-take-ages

joyrider3774
    Participant

reboot and shutdown time can be bypassed. In older retropie versions it rebooted / shutted down immediatly not saving the gamelists file, so any changes to them (like playcount, meta data from scraper etc) are not saved. They changed this to wait for emulation station to save all gamelists.

but you can easily get the original behaviour without waiting for emulationstation to shutdown and thus not saving the gamelists by adding 2 .sh scripts in the ports folder. in one you set the command sudo poweroff in the other sudo reboot along with the bin/sh or was it bin/bash stuff (have a look at one of the other files in the ports rom folder it’s normally the 1st line i’m talking about)

that’s what i do to reboot / shutdown my system immediatly and whenever i do want gamelists to be saved for example if i ever edit metdata data i just using the normal quiting way using start -> quit otherwise i go to the ports sections and select either one of those scripts

gamesfan
    Participant

Thanks guys for your replys. I have 2 more quick questions.

1. Is there a way to edit the command that the shutdown from the main menu performs?
    2. Could I, in theory, mage those two gamelists readonly, and then ES would fail to write to them and maybe shutdown faster?

BH

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The forum ‘New to RetroPie? Start Here!’ is closed to new topics and replies.