Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Keymaster

I would like to describe ideas about a possible organization of the RetroPie components into several Debian packages.

First of all I would like to give an overview about the current organization of the components:

configs:
    all
    atari2600
    cavestory
    doom
    fba
    gamegear
    gb
    gbc
    mame
    mastersystem
    megadrive
    nes
    pcengine
    psx
    snes

emulators:
    advancemame-0.94.0
    atari800-3.0.0
    basiliskii
    cpc4rpi-1.1
    dgen-sdl
    fbzx-2.10.0
    gngeo-0.7
    gngeo-pi-0.85
    gpsp
    jzintv-1.0-beta4
    linapple-src_2a
    mame4all-pi
    mupen64plus-rpi
    mupenBAK
    osmose-0.8.1+rpi20121122
    pifba
    pisnes
    RetroArch
    rpix86
    snes9x-rpi
    uae4rpi
    vice-2.3.dfsg
    Wolf4SDL-1.7-src

emulatorcores:
    fba-libretro
    fceu-next
    gambatte-libretro
    Genesis-Plus-GX
    imame4all-libretro
    libretro-prboom
    mednafen-pce-libretro
    nxengine-libretro
    pcsx_rearmed
    picodrive
    pocketsnes-libretro
    stella-libretro

supplementary:
    bcm2835-1.14
    dispmanx
    EmulationStation
    ES-config
    QtSixA-1.5.1
    runcommand
    sixpair
    SNESDev-Rpi

The Question is how to organize the Debian packages. Would it be a good idea to follow the current organization which would then lead to the following list of packages?

• RetroPie-Configs
    • RetroPie-Emulators
    • RetroPie-RetroArchCores
    • RetroPie-Supplementary

In addition, there could be a wrapper package that would install all packages from above.

What do you think?

nstensen
    Participant

Hi!

I believe the software should be split into way smaller packages. Maybe one for the core system, then one package for each of the emulators etc. Then create RetroPie-Full/-Minimal bundle packages :) Much more bandwidth friendly. Why download everything if only one small emulator core has changed? Then create “wrapper” packages. ‘retropie-full’, ‘retropie-minimal’ etc.

petrockblog
    Keymaster

I agree to the idea to have packages that contain individual components like single emulators, cores etc.

roquen
    Participant

I agree, is it possible to merge all the binaries into /usr/bin or somewhere appropriate for the system?

I am a fan of the BSNES concept of an individual folder/package for each ROM that contains all of the stuff for that rom (screenshots, and everything)

I know this is a shift in emulation convention, so thats a tough one, but I like the /usr/bin idea for the system package management integration for upgrades.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The forum ‘Ideas for Further Enhancements’ is closed to new topics and replies.