Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hello

I got a small project going on, and Im wondering if there’s any possibilities to get curvature/CRT-simulation for a Pi A+ somehow.

I know there are HLSL shader solutions that will mimic the curves of an old CRT screen, but they are way too demanding for a Pi.

Example of an curvature/HLSL shader:
    [url]http://www.videogameperfection.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/mario-opengl-crt-default.png[/url]

Im very serious, and need to know if it’s possible somehow.

Thanks!
    //Kraken

dankcushions
    Participant

there are various shaders built in to retroarch that do this, but they are a slide-show on the pi 2. what’s the context? do you to want to emulate the CRT curvature whilst running emulators? as i think this is demonstrably unplayable on the pi 2, unless these shaders are totally inefficient (and given that most of the shaders in retroarch have the same result on the pi, i’m not sure that they are!)

kraken0667
    Participant

[quote=105292]there are various shaders built in to retroarch that do this, but they are a slide-show on the pi 2. what’s the context? do you to want to emulate the CRT curvature whilst running emulators? as i think this is demonstrably unplayable on the pi 2, unless these shaders are totally inefficient (and given that most of the shaders in retroarch have the same result on the pi, i’m not sure that they are!)

[/quote]

Yes, I would like to simulate the curvature during game play. If retroarch’s shaders makes gaming unplayable, theres no use. I really hope there’s a way to create some curvatature for in-game on the Pi. I would gladly pay someone for making it work!

Floob

I guess you could cheat and use an overlay that emulates a CRT curve just outside the game area?
    A bit like this
    http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-qcpbvOffMqA/UFIzaorSucI/AAAAAAAABXg/4qJZ852KeXY/s1600/crt-background.png

kraken0667
    Participant

[quote=105309]I guess you could cheat and use an overlay that emulates a CRT curve just outside the game area?
    A bit like this
    http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-qcpbvOffMqA/UFIzaorSucI/AAAAAAAABXg/4qJZ852KeXY/s1600/crt-background.png

[/quote]

That’s what I’ve been doing, and I dont like it. Looks a bit strange and you loose some info in the corners

jarkokoo
    Participant

I don’t mean to troll or anything, but if you REALLY are after a genuine CRT-look and extra bells and whistles, you have to invest some more money to your project.

For MAME + HLSL most of the small form factor PC’s around 300e/$/250£ will do, especially, if you’re willing to drop the desktop resolution to 900p – it really doesn’t show on MAME’s picture quality, but shows on performance, when the shaders are run. For example my ASUS VM42 runs MAME with HLSL enabled at full 100% speed, when I dropped the resolution to 900p, and it looks beautiful. But a good thing to remember is, that this kind of system is only suitable for 2d-stuff in MAME, so no Rival Schools or Radiant Silvergun.

For 3d stuff, in MAME or, if you want to emulate Wii or similar or RetroArch with shaders you’ll need a “real” computer, with a dedicated decent GPU. In most cases the 3d-era systems’ emulation and the shaders in RA are just so demanding. So, if you want to have it all: you have to buy a real rig, that runs your emulation project.

For other individual emulators with shaders: you just have to try. But the bottom line is: with a cheap system, like RPi or even a small form factor PC/HTPC, you just have to let some features go. In RPi environment it mostly means: no shaders at all, at least not at this particular moment.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The forum ‘Video Output on RetroPie’ is closed to new topics and replies.