Homepage Forums RetroPie Project Ideas for Further Enhancements Cripsy DOOM + FreeDOOM are Distro Friendly. Please Add.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    xd3l
    Participant

“Crispy Doom is a limit-removing enhanced-resolution Doom source port based on Chocolate Doom. Its name means that 640×400 looks “crisp” and is also a slight reference to its origin. ”

http://www.chocolate-doom.org/wiki/index.php/Crispy_Doom

Back to Saturn X in Crispy

sudo apt-get install build-essential automake
    sudo aptitude install gcc make libsdl1.2-dev libsdl-net1.2-dev libsdl-mixer1.2-dev python-imaging

git clone https://github.com/fabiangreffrath/crispy-doom.git

cd crispy-doom
    sh autogen.sh
    make
    sudo make install

This will get crispy installed, then all you need are your iWADs for it and the other DOOM clones, though I’d rather have an updated compile of ZDOOM for those. Besides, most of Crispy DOOM’s amendments only work for DOOM.

For free DOOM iWADs:

sudo apt-get install freedoom

or

EDIT: Download Freedoom and manually move the iwads to:

/usr/share/games/doom/

crispy-doom-setup
    cripsy-doom iwad freedoom1.wad
    crispy-doom (default freedoom2.wad)
    (Place additional wads in /usr/share/games/doom/ {lower case})

Can be fully configured to not need to depend upon a keyboard to enter, play, and exit, and can also use both analog sticks for default DOOM game play.

Supports DOOM3 iwads and nrfl.wad.

xd3l
    Participant

Ironically when trying to launch this on the latest RetroPie release I got this error:

I_Init: Setting up machine state.
    OPL_Init: Using driver ‘SDL’.
    NET_Init: Init network subsystem.
    M_Init: Init miscellaneous info.
    R_Init: Init DOOM refresh daemon – [ ……………………………………..
    P_Init: Init Playloop state.
    R_TextureNumForName: 2DIRT not found
    P_InitPicAnims: bad cycle from SW1EXIT to 2DIRT

The author told me to go into the sources and change the type of the “istexture” element of struct animdef_t in doom/p_spec.c from “char” to “signed char”

I did so, compiled, and it works now. This was not required under the latest Raspian for some reason.

zerojay
    Participant

I’ll take a run at it sometime today.

xd3l
    Participant

Thank yoU!

zerojay
    Participant

I’ve completed the script. You can find it in my github at https://github.com/zerojay/RetroPie-Setup in the crispy-doom branch.

xd3l
    Participant

Sweet, thank you!

zerojay
    Participant

Let me know how it works for you and if it’s good, I’ll send a pull request for it soonish.

xd3l
    Participant

I replaced my existing folders with this (I presume I was not suppose to do that?) and didn’t see Crispy DOOM in the list of options, and also the packagee script will not work at all.

I’m sorry, I’m not as knowledgeable as you may have thought. :)

zerojay
    Participant

Just wait for it to be pulled into retropie then.

zerojay
    Participant

Crispy Doom will not be included in RetroPie official at this point as they already have a Doom port. I’ve created a repository for all my scripts for testing as well as for holding scripts that won’t make it into RetroPie.

http://github.com/zerojay/RetroPie-Extra/

xd3l
    Participant

Well thank you for trying…
    …I’ll have a loook at more of your scripts.
    So what do I do with these anyhow? Git clone them into their own unique folder and try to run them from there? I’d like to learn.

zerojay
    Participant

You can git clone the repository and then run the install script to copy them directly into your RetroPie-Setup directory. The readme below the repository files explains things.

xd3l
    Participant

Thanks!

You know, now that I’m over clocked to 1050, ZDOOM performs well enough. The frame drop was a bit to noticeable before. And with the advent of the Pi 3, ZDOOM has got to fly!!!

It’s really a shame that they don’t just opt for ZDOOM all together, and try to incorporate a means by which you can drop wads into the zdoom folder and select them through Emulation Station’s menu.

PrBOOM Plus on the other hand, will shine when OpenGL support matures. None the less, it doesn’t have as many cracked out and over the top pWADs that ZDOOM does. Knee Deep in ZDOOM, Harmony, Action DOOM, Brutal DOOM, The Adventures of Square, Dark Forces, and the list goes on. ZDOOM is a power house and it looks really good on the TV in wide screen. Again, now that the frames are up, I’m happy with it.

zerojay
    Participant

A wad selector will be put in place at some point in RetroPie. In the meantime, I’ve updated crispy-doom, allowing it to add each of your iWADs to emulationstation automatically if they are in the proper directory. I’ve also added chocolate-doom and gave it the same treatment. Both of them will also now download and install the latest release of freedoom phase 1 and 2 as well.

xd3l
    Participant

Checking it out! :)

xd3l
    Participant

I like the new additions!!! This makes it very user friendly and easy to dig into, Joypad configuration aside…

xd3l
    Participant

Heads up. Fab took Strife support (and I think others) out, so now your source no longer compiles because it is looking for that.

zerojay
    Participant

Okay, I’ll take a look. Thanks for the update.

zerojay
    Participant

I’ve updated the script. In the future, please file a bug on the issue tracker for the repo so that I’m more easily aware of there being a problem.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • The forum ‘Ideas for Further Enhancements’ is closed to new topics and replies.