Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    osias
    Participant

I am not Linux expert and I am coming along and have completed many different types of activities thus far in the Pi environments. However I am having a difficult time understanding how to configure the controller for emulators. For the emulation station itself I am good and it detects and lets me use my xbox 360 wirelss controller through all the menus.

The issue is when I go to launch any emulator game. only keyboard and mouse work then.

I find a bunch of different tutorials stating to do quite a deal of many different things in which I have tried all of them.

https://github.com/retropie/RetroPie-Setup/wiki/Control-Issues
    With this tutorial when I try the retroarch-joyconfig -o I get something about command doesn’t exist

https://github.com/retropie/RetroPie-Setup/wiki/Setting-up-the-XBox360-controller
    With this tutorial I am able to run the driver install and add the multiple instances even though the file isn’t where it says it is. But this did nothing to make my controller work in any emulator.

How to setup a controller in 2.2 ???

I tried this one as well but again the command wont run.

Now with WinSCP I have started to understand the file structure a little better and /opt/retropie/configs/ is where the meat and potatoes seem to be. Since my /all .cfg file seems to be working for the emulation station I copied it into one of the emulators to try that, it didn’t work either.

Also I have gotten to the whole blue screen and tried to do a full source update that stops too when it cant hit certain git libraries or something like that.

either way I feel pretty confused and lost, maybe I am sort of starting to get it but I just want to know the following straight up and clear.

1) How do I make sure all emulators are up to date
    2) How do I set it up to allow up to 4 xbox wireless controllers
    3) How do I configure all and individually each emulator controllers
    4) What is the proper keyboard key to leave a game with esc?

Sorry if I sound lazy but I have spent several afternoons on this and the documentation seems lacking and not up to date or something, it could be just me or to many things you must understand prior, but again I have figured a lot out so far on other projects.

Oh I am using berryboot Ver 2.0 and have openelec and raspbian for my other boots and the default of retropie downloaded and I went into that blue shell and tried to do the full source install but it exited after the intelivision emulator install. A lot of things seemed to fail during that install.

From what I can tell this is a pretty kewl project just cant really get it updated and controllers working.

Thanks for your time

Floob

Have you tried this to get your controller working?

osias
    Participant

I was actually just about to post this up I just found this and ran through it and it didn’t work… So yes I found this, although the structure is out of date again I found the files etc. I even put the relevant lines of config information into the individual emulator config files and it doesn’t pick up the controller.

Also I notice that I only have 8gb avail of space when I am using a 64gb card.
    I found this command to expand the file system but its not working
    expand_rootfs, finish, reboot says command not found even if I put sudo in from doesn’t seem to matter.

osias
    Participant

I am able to load a mame game and hit tab and program my wireless 360 controller there and it works in mame. But all the automatic if it works in emulation station does not work.

I have redone that script and rebooted several times.

osias
    Participant

I finally said screw it something is wrong I dumped the OS and went from scratch and this is what I did.

Berry boot
    Install retro-pie 2.3
    exit it run sudo ./retropie_setup.sh
    update scripts – succeded
    reboot
    run sudo ./retropie_setup.sh
    run binary normal setup – alot of items seems like they failed
    run install xbox driver — failed with force yes not used
    run register retro-arch controller
    Reboot
    Launch WinSCP
    Move over a nes test rom so more emulators show up and I can test controller
    reboot
    When station starts setup controller from menu
    launch new rom – controller finally worked yay!

osias
    Participant

Still that above video tutorial doesn’t work I have put the config in the /all config file and in the individual emulator config file.

Some more information on controller scripts would be great and what each emulator is expecting and how to override the global.

Why because currently the nes is working with the d-pad and I would like to use the analog.

I know I am just winy aren’t I. Just so close want to get it working the way I want it to work without any fuss.

Floob

Have you tried keeping your controller config in the file created here:
    /opt/retropie/emulators/RetroArch/configs

Then in your Retroarch.cfg file (in the /opt/retropie/configs/all directory) dont specify the buttons, just let it do it automatically with this

# Enable input auto-detection. Will attempt to autoconfigure
    # joypads, Plug-and-Play style.
    input_autodetect_enable = true

# Directory for joypad autoconfigs (PC).
    # If a joypad is plugged in, that joypad will be autoconfigured if a config file
    # corresponding to that joypad is present in joypad_autoconfig_dir.
    # Input binds which are made explicit (input_playerN_*_btn/axis) will take priority over autoconfigs.
    # Autoconfigs can be created with retroarch-joyconfig, manually, or with a frontend.
    # Requires input_autodetect_enable to be enabled.
    joypad_autoconfig_dir = /opt/retropie/emulators/RetroArch/configs/

Plus dont put any button configs in the retroarch system specific folders like
    /opt/retropie/configs/megadrive

mzpalmerii
    Participant

I have a very similar problem, and hate to post up ANOTHER controller thread.

I have my 360 controller all configured & working great (except that backwards a-b button deal). I got USB SNES & NES controllers today. Both work great in emulation station. I have configured both (independently of each other) repeatedly, in both of the ways I’ve seen instructed here. I’ve done it through the setup screen and also through the command line. No matter how I’ve attempted to set it up, the SNES & nes controllers never work at all on the nes emulator. I can plug the 360 controller back in & it still works the same.

Please shed some light on this infuriating problem before I run this thing over with my car.

Thanks!

osias
    Participant

Floob I will have to look into that and see if it works. I will get back to you now I am having to work on expending the volume its a 64gb card and only using 8gb and its full.

MZP its no hijack, wish I could help you more in return. Look I think I had some sort of incomplete or corrupt install or I really messed up permissions and or the code somewhere. A fresh install following these instructions should work.

Berry boot
    Install retro-pie 2.3
    exit it run sudo ./retropie_setup.sh
    update scripts – succeded
    reboot
    run sudo ./retropie_setup.sh
    run binary normal setup – alot of items seems like they failed
    run install xbox driver — failed with force yes not used
    run register retro-arch controller
    Reboot
    Launch WinSCP
    Move over a nes test rom so more emulators show up and I can test controller
    reboot
    When station starts setup controller from menu
    launch new rom – controller finally worked yay!

Floob

Dont forget to run “sudo raspi-config” first, as that has an option to expand your sd card for you.

osias
    Participant

Ya well I just made a post about that – your comments on it would be appreciated.

osias
    Participant

Okay been busy haven’t had a chance to test this until now. I just tried your little auto-detect trick and its not working. Many of the emulators work without any issue and already did without any further work needed.

However ATARI, NES, SNES, Sega Master System the joysticks don’t work. Now I would like to say prior to this script nothing was different.

It seems like all the buttons are correct for all the above systems but the joystick directional does not work.

I have also gone to the direct directory and tried to override the script but that’s not working either.

Still looking for help

osias
    Participant

Also that little video with the addition of the using the select and start to exit gracefully didn’t really work for me.

I think the button #’s are not lining up. I am still confused as to what is the default script syntax naming it needs for each emulator and controller and which file is the correct file to use.

What’s the controllers script syntax I guess and couldn’t I just write my own.
    Maybe but then where do I put it in which I know it activates.

I will play with this some more soon and post up my feedback but if someone has any direction I would be appreciative, the only issue is the joysticks and dpad etc don’t move anything in the emulators I mentioned above, the rest seems to work and yes I have done the driver install and retroarch walkthrough script.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • The forum ‘Everything else related to the RetroPie Project’ is closed to new topics and replies.