Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I’d like to build a retro gaming console using retropie, but want to make sure I fully understand the power requirements beforehand. I’m intending to use the following in my setup:

– 2.5a power supply
    – hdmi output
    – 2 usb wired PS3 controllers (no other usb devices)

Most guides I’ve read say to overclock to the Pi2 setting in RetroPie which sets the clock rate at 1000Mhz. However, the guide for setting up a PS3 controller states that if you’re going to overclock then you’ll need to use a separate powered USB hub for the controllers. Does this mean any overclock at all or is it just referring to anything above 1000MHz? Will my 2.5a power supply be enough for what I want? FWIW it says on the back of the PS3 controller that 300ma are required and in the raspberry pi faq it states that 600ma is the maximum total usb peripheral current draw.

disrespect
    Participant

2.5 is more than enough to power the PI at overclock. If you add in peripherals, it’s still enough to power most external (usb powered) hard drives, with a port adjustment in the config.

If you are just worried about controllers and things, you have more than enough power there. My setup is 2amp, and it powers PI at overclock, two controllers, a keyboard, a usb wifi stick, and an external hard disk.

mikeveli20
    Participant

Thanks for the reply. That makes me feel better about moving forward with what I’ve got.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The forum ‘New to RetroPie? Start Here!’ is closed to new topics and replies.