Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Keymaster

Hey all,
    I was hoping for some help…

I got RetroPi up and running, updated, roms uploaded, they all work great but now I’m struggling with my USB PS2 controller.

I some how messed up the config of the controller when I first launched RetroPi… I.E. When Emulationstation runs for the first time, it takes you through a controller configuration screen.

So the up button works as done and none of the other buttons works.

I went bouncing through /home/pi/retro pi/configs/all/retroarch.com but couldn’t seen to find what I was looking for to fix this.

I ran a jstest /dev/input/js0 and the USB PS2 controller is conected/feeding data/etc

I have all of the values of pressing each button if needed.

So how do I reconfigure the controller? Is there a command I can enter to get back to that screen? Or do I need to edit specific values in a specific file manually to fix it?

And hopefully if other people run into this down the line, then this will help it come up in Google…
    My Reddit thread on this:

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

petrockblog_forum
    Keymaster

Also I posted this in a Raspberry Pi forum where somebody was tackling a more complex PS USB issue:
    http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=78&t=39863

karloss
    Participant

at the bottom on the /RetroPie/configs/all/retroarch.cfg file, you will see input_player1_joypad_index stuff, delete all of that…

then drop into terminal (F4) or ssh and do this..

cd ~/RetroPie/emulators/RetroArch/tools

./retroarch-joyconfig -o p1.cfg -p 1 -j 0
    ( -o for output file, -p for player, -j for joystick id )

then do this

sudo cat p*.cfg >> ~/RetroPie/configs/all/retroarch.cfg

this will setup the controls for the emulators, if you need to do the emulationstation controls, delete the esconfig file in the .emulationstation folder and reboot.

good luck

numbsphynx
    Participant

Im trying to do this and i constantly get Directory not found. I can go in open the directory in terminal but when i attempt to ./retroarch-joyconfig -o p1.cfg -p 1 -j 0 it just gives me Base File/Directory not found. Is it possible the keyboard im using is causing this? I have not been able to get a single directory to change and i know they exist.

Chase Westlye
    Participant

I’m having the same issue numbsphynx

My retroarch is at:

/home/pi/RetroPie/Configs/All

But when I enter
    cd ~/home/pi/RetroPie/Configs/All
    (so same thing but the directory for retroarch.cfg changed)
    I get:
    “-bash: cd ~/home/pi/RetroPie/Configs/All no such file or directory”

LOL

Chase Westlye
    Participant

Also I deleted es_systems.cfg in /home/pi/.emulationstation and reran emulationstation… This allowed me to reset the emulationstation navigation controls so now my PS2 USB controller as well as my keyboard work for navigating around emulationstation (selecting games, exiting, etc).

The keyboard works great in games, the PS USB controller is totally unresposnive.

Alsmost there!

Chase Westlye
    Participant

ffffffffffuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu…………….. This is driving me nuts LOL

So I found another relative thread with similar commands…

http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=78&t=42521

Here’s the code to run:

cd ~/RetroPie/emulators/RetroArch/tools/ &&
    ./retroarch-joyconfig -p 1 -j 1 >> ~/RetroPie/configs/all/retroarch.cfg

So I type that in and I still get:

“-bash: cd ~/home/pi/RetroPie/Configs/All no such file or directory”

I did a search in WinSCP and the retroarch-joyconfig is found at:

/home/pi/RetroPie/emulators/RetroArch/tools

ALMOST THERE!

Chase Westlye
    Participant

[quote=1941]Im trying to do this and i constantly get Directory not found. I can go in open the directory in terminal but when i attempt to ./retroarch-joyconfig -o p1.cfg -p 1 -j 0 it just gives me Base File/Directory not found. Is it possible the keyboard im using is causing this? I have not been able to get a single directory to change and i know they exist. [/quote]

1941… Try this…

In Console, type: pwd… That will tell you what directory you are in.

Then type CD /home/pi/

Type PWD and you should see:

/home/pi/

Then tyoe: ls -F

It’ll get you all of the folders and files in that directory that you can CD to

I was able to get to the cd ~/RetroPie/emulators/RetroArch/tools/ folder this way but still haven’t figure out how to get joyconfig to run

Chase Westlye
    Participant

Ok… So once I do the little trick above to get the CD to be the /tools/ folder, I’m able to run this:

./retroarch-joyconfig -0//./RetroPie/configs/all/retroarch.cfg

And the config runs!

Unfortunately when I go to RetroPie/configs/all/retroarch.cfg and check the file, there are no joystick inputs in the file (so the config never took).

Ideas?

Anonymous
    Inactive

Yeah, this confused me for a while as well, but here’s what you need to do.
    What you need to do is take the output of /home/pi/RetroPie/emulators/RetroArch/tools/retroarch-joyconfig and add it to the end of /home/pi/RetroPie/configs/all/retroarch.cfg

Just pipe the output of retroarch-joyconfig into a file and append that file to the end of retroarch.cfg

That should do it.

petrockblog_forum
    Keymaster

I.E. I create a blank file called whatever.cfg

and when I have the command in the right file, run something like:

./retroarch-joyconfig -o -p1 -j0 whatever.cfg

And then copy it into the retroarch.cfg

Brilliant (I don’t mean that sarcastically, I really appreciate it!)!!!

karloss
    Participant

missed the sudo commands..

at the bottom on the /RetroPie/configs/all/retroarch.cfg file, you will see input_player1_joypad_index stuff, delete all of that…
    then drop into terminal (F4) or ssh and do this..

cd ~/RetroPie/emulators/RetroArch/tools

sudo ./retroarch-joyconfig -o p1.cfg -p 1 -j 0
    ( -o for output file, -p for player, -j for joystick id )

then do this

sudo cat p*.cfg >> ~/RetroPie/configs/all/retroarch.cfg

this will setup the controls for the emulators, if you need to do the emulationstation controls, delete the esconfig file in the .emulationstation folder and reboot.

good luck

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • The forum ‘Everything else related to the RetroPie Project’ is closed to new topics and replies.