Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I would like to implement ColecoVision emulator in future..
    Thanks.

labelwhore
    Participant

There are two options: CoolCV and Colem. I’ve read that a couple people have got them working, but I think controller implementation is not an easy task. Feel free to give those a shot.

snakex
    Participant

There is one more emulator called CrabEmu. Its for Sega Master System, Game Gear, SG-1000 and ColecoVision.

herbfargus

Supposedly final burn alpha also emulates the colecovision but I don’t how much support it has for it with the rpi port. Lr-bluemsx also supports it (but doesn’t have controller support yet)

labelwhore
    Participant

Wow, cool! Thanks for the info Herb. I’m gonna try out FBA with Colecovision roms tonight.

https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=78&t=105310

labelwhore
    Participant

Well, from everything I’ve read, running CollecoVision roms in lr-fba SHOULD be possible. I haven’t got it to work. I think I have the right bios, but I’m not sure bout my roms. From the .dat file I found, there should be files with extentions like .1, .2, .3, and .4 in .zip files. Whereas, all I have are .col. I tried zipping those up, but no dice.

I have a hunch that the .col files are just the .1, .2 etc. combined into one file.

InsecureSpike
    Participant

yeah I have some roms that are like that I’ll try later…. bios go in the usual bios folder?

herbfargus

try putting the bios in the rom folder as well as the bios folder just to cover all basis. and leave them as .col and just add .col to es_systems.config.

Still don’t know if it will work though as the port to the pi may have only ported the arcade portion of the emulator.

InsecureSpike
    Participant

actually i was getting mixed up with Oric roms, but still gonna test

InsecureSpike
    Participant

ok, got BIOs in both folders, zipped & unzipped.

now it looks like its trying to start, (that coloured line flashes up) but then back to emulation station,
    i looked at the runcommand.log and theres nothing in there

labelwhore
    Participant

Same thing happens here. I do have the .zip bios with the 4 files in it as the dat shows, but no roms split into multpile files. Only the .col files.

I did try splitting 2010 into multpile 8k chunks an renaming them according the what’s in the .dat, but still no love. There’s probably something else that was changed when they were spliced together.

I scoured the web looking for roms with a different format, I did find some ending in .bin. Those didn’t work as is or zipped for me either. If anyone knows how to break these files down correctly into the right sized chunks so that they’ll work, I’m all ears.

labelwhore
    Participant
    InsecureSpike
    Participant

oh, I only have 3 bios files in my bios zip!
    I need to find a new set then

labelwhore
    Participant

Keep that set, there’s just one file missing. Just look for the missing filename from the .dat via google. That’s where I got it.

The missing file appears to be for some sort of cartridge adapter. It didn’t solve anything for me, but it sounds like you have a few more good roms than I do.

InsecureSpike
    Participant

awesome, I’ll get that and give it a go,
    I think I have nearly a full set of Colecovision roms

InsecureSpike
    Participant

@, labelwhore & herbfargus,

ok, i have an idea, but i have a MAC and can’t go any further than just the idea, i’m thinking a PC is needed to further our progression…..

i think we use the .dat file to convert a set of colecovision roms, like we do with mame roms, do we think this could be possible?

InsecureSpike
    Participant

I’ve just found a dedicated rom set, with naming like mame has, all are .7z zipped

they don’t work as .7z even with that added to the es_systems.cfg

nor do they work as .zip…

the files are numbered as labelwhore said earlier

ok, when I wake up I’m gonna rebuild this rom set I’ve found, using that day file as I’ve found a Mac version of that rom manager

labelwhore
    Participant

If only we could PMs, lol I really want that rom set.

labelwhore
    Participant

I can confirm that .dat seems to work in clrmamepro, but I just don’t have the correct romset for it.

I found the right rom set, and was able to rebuild it with clrmamepro, but I’m still seeing the same behavior as above. It looks like the rom is going to launch, then back to ES. No errors in runcommand.log.

InsecureSpike
    Participant

i can’t seem to post anything with links….

found some info on the libretto forums

labelwhore
    Participant

I gave up on lr-fba for now, but I did get the latest revision of coolcv to work. Here’s the instructions I basically followed (ignore the attachment here):

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/240800-coolcv-emulator-for-mac-os-x-linux-windows-and-raspberry/page-4#entry3307835

The latest revision is attached to the first post in that thread.

http://atariage.com/forums/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_id=422702

I’m using an xbox360 controller and the controls are a bit laggy, but seem to work.

Edit: just to give you a few more details; I’m running retropie 3.3 Jessie. When I ran the install instructions, I ran them as is and got a couple errors. I ignored the errors and moved on to the next steps. They didn’t seem to make any difference. I’m somewhat of a linux noob, but it seemed to me that they were more like warnings, than actual errors.

I went ahead and followed the normal retropie folder structure and placed coolcv_pi in a new folder ‘/opt/retropie/emulators/coolcv’. I didn’t need to build anything, I just copied it over to the pi.

I’ve only tried a handful of games so far, but it seems that I can start some, but have trouble with others. I still need a keyboard to start a lot of games, and the one I’m using does not have a number pad. I can start a handful of roms just from the controller though. I’d expect that future revisions will only work better.

InsecureSpike
    Participant

awesome! thanks ill try tomorro

InsecureSpike
    Participant

still not tried this out yet..
    are you on the most current coolcv_v0.6.3 ?

labelwhore
    Participant

I’m using 0.6.2, but from the post, it looks like there weren’t any updates for pi since 0.6.2.

From the update, it looks like there might be some joystick fixes coming soon though. I don’t know if that effects me, I’ve only done a very little bit of testing.

InsecureSpike
    Participant

cool ok I’ll try find some time to have a play, thanks

hobbswon
    Participant

How did I miss this thread?

Labelwhore, you cannot map the controls for the number buttons to your gamepad from the coolcv menu?

labelwhore
    Participant

I didn’t need to map them, they just worked form the start. When I posted that, I hadn’t done much testing yet, but have since. Everything seems to work great!

In regards to the number pad, I sometimes have issue with mapping those keys. I think it has to do with my keyboard that has a trackball attached and no number pad, as well as no left ctrl or alt. I think that keyboard messes with some settings and causes issues for me from time to time.

Also, I saw Herb mention that coolcv is getting added to the setup script.

hobbswon
    Participant

Yea, that’s awesome that Herb will be writing a script. A libretro port would be really nice [as well as intellivision]

Labelwhore, could you (or anybody) tell me where the file to configure ES to point to coolcv when launching the roms? Also, where did you have to put the BIOS?

petrockblog
    Keymaster

Can’t be a libretro port unless the sourcecode is released unfortunately.

labelwhore
    Participant

[quote=115191]Yea, that’s awesome that Herb will be writing a script. A libretro port would be really nice [as well as intellivision]

Labelwhore, could you (or anybody) tell me where the file to configure ES to point to coolcv when launching the roms? Also, where did you have to put the BIOS?

[/quote]
    yessir!

I had to add a section in es_systems.cfg for colecovision. I just copied one that was for another system. for the _SYS_ blah piece, just put in _SYS_ coleco or something like that. Then you’ll need to create a folder in /opt/retropie/configs named exactly as that variable in es_systems.cfg, so in this case name it coleco.

Then inside that folder, you’ll need a emulators.cfg file. You can actually just copy one from another system and modify it. I used intellivision, since there is only one intellevision emulator, just like coleco. It’s in that file that you need to add the path to coolcv and any command line options. This way you get all the functionality or the runcommand script.

There is a quick an dirty way too though. That way, you just need to edit es_systems.cfg and put the entire command line in place of the _SYS_ blah section. So replace everything between the command tags, but leaving the %ROM%.

As for the BIOS, I believe I just stuck it in the folder with the emulator, but I’d have to take a look. I’m not at home now.

hobbswon
    Participant

Got it!

I copied the jzintv emulators.cfg and edited it, placed it in the coolcv folder. Wormed like a charm.

As for the BIOS, there was a command in the cfg file for the Intv bios

-p BIOS

So I just left that in so it points to the BIOS directory and dropped the cv bios in there

Thanks dude, Coleco was a must have for me.

hobbswon
    Participant

Ok, I don’t know what happened but I broke something in my coleco configuration.

When I go to load a rom, it only loads the generic BIOS screen now.

Here’s the es_systems.cfg

es_systems.cfg

Here’s the emulators.cfg code

coolcv="/opt/retropie/emulators/coolcv/coolcv -p /home/pi/RetroPie/BIOS -q %ROM%"
    default="coolcv"

I’m at a complete loss

labelwhore
    Participant

your emulators.cfg should look like this:

cool_cv="/opt/retropie/emulators/cool_cv/coolcv_pi %ROM%"
    default="cool_cv"

Sorry if that wasn’t clear, the entire command needed to be replaced.

hobbswon
    Participant

Yep got it! Runs really good.

herbfargus

It’s been added. It can be installed from the experimental menu after an update to the setup script

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 37 total)
  • The forum ‘Ideas for Further Enhancements’ is closed to new topics and replies.