Homepage Forums RetroPie Project Controller Configuration in RetroPie cocktail cabinet questions – TRACKBALL

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    bwolf17666
    Participant

I’m working on a design for a cocktail cabinet using Retro Pie. I want to but track balls on the two controls panels across from each other. Primarily for Centipede/Millipede.

I have gotten screen rotations to work and flips. However I dont understand how I would set up trackballs for Player one and Player 2.

I currently have a USB Happ 2 1/4 inch ball on hand that I have been playing with.

Has Anyone set up a dual trackball system before?

bujbot
    Participant

Hi bwolf17666,

Have you made any progress with this? I’m planning on adding trackballs to my cocktail cabinet in the future (probably bought the same track ball you’ve purchased).

Also, can you go into more detail about “screen rotations” to work? Do you mean in game or just during bootup?

Thanks.

bujbot
    Participant

Hi,

So an update from my end. I also have trackball centipede working for player 1 but not player 2 … but at the same time something else is up with player 2 for that rom (only player 1 controls shoot during player 2’s turn and I’ve reset the controls to ensure player 2 shoots). I’m starting to think it’s ROM specific?

The reason I say this is that I got marble madness working and trackball 1 controls player 1 and trackball 2 controls player 2 without needing to do anything.

bwolf17666
    Participant

Hey Sorry for the Late reply. What I have discovered and explored is using two USB trackballs ach device is recognized as it’s own input (mouse), registering as /dev/input/js0 and /dev/input/js1 then in your retroarch.cfg you just apply player 1 to js0 and player 2 to js1.

You can also view the devices using lsusb.

I dont really know much about marble madness so I’m not sure whats up with that.

bwolf17666
    Participant

As for screen rotation you can set it up in each config file of the emulator. Alternatively you can do it in each rom, but that can be quite a bit more work.

mlazy
    Participant

hey bwolf,

I followed and applied the js0 chage to my retroarch.cfg, but mame4all still doesn’t “see” it if I select and configure the inputs for dial within mame. Do I need to specify more inputs in mame.cfg or somewhere similar?

buddywtf
    Participant

OK SO HOW EXACTLY DO I SET UP JUST ONE TRACKBALL FOR MAME4ALL IN RETROPIE? FROM THE BEGINNING PLEASE,
    THANK YOU GUYS

rpasuit
    Participant

2nd this. I have a tankstick and can’t get trackball to work anywhere… how do I enable it- looking for mame4all basically- don’t need trackball in main pi menus but would be nice. thx!

robboman
    Participant

3rd this.. I spent a lot of hours repairing my old Happ trackball and wiring it up only to find it doesn’t work – do I need to run a different MAME emulator besides MAME4ALL?

Thanks

nosedeath
    Participant

Yup.
    Mame4All will not work with a Trackball. I’ve tried and tried.
    AdvMame works with the trackball. So I put all my trackball games in that mame folder and then I use mame4All for everything else.

Only problem I have is centipede doesn’t work.

Before you stress out anymore do it that way. I worked on this for weeks!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • The forum ‘Controller Configuration in RetroPie’ is closed to new topics and replies.