Homepage Forums RetroPie Project Everything else related to the RetroPie Project Change SNES emulator Raspberry Pi 2

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    wiskey
    Participant

Hello all!

I am having trouble with a known bug in Pocketsnes (the default SNES emulator) and I would like to swap it out for another emulator but I’m not having any luck. I got as far as installing a new emulator and using # to comment out the Pocketsnes emulator in the es_systems.cfg file, but still when I launch any SNES games it comes up in Pocketsnes.

Can anyone provide a link to, or a tutorial for switching emulators?

I’m using a Raspberry Pi 2 with the current disk image for it, 2.5 I think.

Thank you!
    Wiskey

GameRockeR
    Participant

Update your RetroPie-Setup Script and compile/install snes9x-next, this is the most accurate/performance emulator for the RPi2.

herbfargus

I second GameRockeR- I just did it today and it worked fine. see this video if you have any issues:

metalheadmarc
    Participant

Does this emulator definitely out perform pocket snes?

GameRockeR
    Participant

When using a Rpi2 yes, totally. Better audio, better cpu emulation (not 100% perfect), sfx games work overclocked via core configuration (yoshi’s island performance increased). I dont have a Pi 2 right now but I’m really convinced to buy one just for the sake of this snes emulator.

wiskey
    Participant

Fantastic! I did it and that totally fixed my second player issue. Thank you for the video! It also answered my questions about the other emulators, I didn’t realize there were different rom folders.

I’m having some performance issues with it, but I just overclocked and gave the gpu 392 megs of RAM rather than 256 so I’ll see if that helps.

If you have any other tuning tips I’m all ears.

Thank you!
    Whiskey

saloonstudios
    Participant

Is the github source for snes9x-next any newer than the one compiled by the retropie setup script? Without searching I went ahead and compiled snes9x-next from source and tried to update my es_systems.cfg to point to the new emulator but I’m having problems getting it started. Does the retropie setup script change any other config files besides es_systems.cfg?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The forum ‘Everything else related to the RetroPie Project’ is closed to new topics and replies.