Homepage Forums RetroPie Project New to RetroPie? Start Here! Capturing/Streaming Video

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    djquad
    Participant

Hey all! This might be more of a Raspbian question, but I’m curious about ways to go about streaming gameplay to a Windows PC.

I’m a Twitch.tv broadcaster/streamer. The broadcasting software needs “sources”, whether they are webcams or individual windows such as games, Skype, a web browser, etc.. Sure I could simply use MAME on Windows and capture that, but I’d much rather have a physical arcade cabinet running RetroPie.

Attached is a screenshot of the sources. As long as RetroPie can be “seen” on a Windows PC, that would work.

lilbud
    Participant

Best thing that I can think of is to use a capture card, No one to my knowledge has been able to stream video from the pi to a computer.

herbfargus

yep you need a capture card.

djquad
    Participant

Thanks for the reply.

Yeah a capture card is common with streamers in order to be able to get consoles like Xbox and Playstation to a PC. Or at least, as a “source” on the PC.

Most of them use AVerMedia cards like at http://gamerzone.avermedia.com//game_capture/live_gamer_hd, and actually at the very bottom of that page, XSplit is the broadcasting software I use.

It seems like it’s promising, but you’re right, streaming RetroPie to a Windows PC is the challenge.

herbfargus

Even if you could get it running on the pi the processing power isn’t near enough to be able to stream

djquad
    Participant

Would you suggest an actual PC instead of RetroPie then?

herbfargus

Depends on what you’re trying to do. You either use a capture card to stream with the pi or you can stream natively on a PC without a capture card.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The forum ‘New to RetroPie? Start Here!’ is closed to new topics and replies.