Homepage Forums RetroPie Project Everything else related to the RetroPie Project Can't get past configure screen in Emulation Station

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    civ4ever
    Participant

I have installed RetroPie from the disk image. I am using the iBuffalo USB gamepads that work fine on my Windows PC. When starting emulationstation, I cannot get past the “OK” after setting the buttons on the gamepad. I’ve tried pressing buttons, holding buttons, pressing buttons on the keyboard, nothing works. This also occurred with the keyboard. No es_input.cfg file has ever been written. I’ve been Googling and tearing my hair out trying to figure this out. Please help. Thanks.

Roo
    Participant

I have that same gamepad, I’ll try to help.

When you first boot the Pi does it still go to the “configure your gamepad” screen? If there’s really no es_input.cfg it should. If it doesn’t I would recommend you re-image the SD card with the RetroPie image.

If it does go to the “configure your gamepad” screen, does it say “1 gamepad detected?” if it does, hold a button to start and then after you press up, down, left, right, a, b, start, select, l and r, the “ok” button should be highlighted. just press “a”

I feel like we’re playing Contra….

civ4ever
    Participant

Yes, when I boot the RPi, it goes to the configure screen.

Nothing happens when I press anything on the OK button, that’s the issue.

Roo
    Participant

So you get through configuring all the controls, all the way to OK at the bottom? And then you press “A” and it doesn’t work?

Whatever button you configured as “A” (I highly recommend you configure “A” as “A”) – it worked once to configure it – just press it again to accept.

civ4ever
    Participant

Not really sure what I did, but I walked away, installed some updates, and rebooted a couple times. Finally got it working. I had honestly hit “A” before.

Roo
    Participant

Glad to hear it’s working! :)

escher
    Participant

I’m having the same problem, but with a ZD USB Encoder (board adapter for real arcade buttons).

With Retropie 2.3 I can configure the button mapping fot the emulationstation without problems, but with newer versions of retropie such as 2.6 I can’t configure.

When I start a fresh installation of RPIE it asks me to hold a button to configure controls, this part is OK, I hold a button and start mapping the buttons, the problem begins when I have finished configuring the button mapping, it take me back to the top button of the list (up axis) and it stays there as (Axis -2) and I can’t move down or up to the list so I can reach the “OK” button to save the config.

Configuring a keyboard for this feature is ok, but I need to configure the arcade stick and buttons for this project.

Anyone is having the same problem ?

v0ha
    Participant

Please tell me you have found a solution as I have the same issue (new to retropie – just started playing with it yesterday). Have a defender gamepad (http://eng.defender-global.com/products/game/gamepad/game-racer-turbo-rs3/). When I boot up – retropie detects my gamepad. Then when I hold any button to configure I can configure all buttons but instead of going to OK (checked it with keyboard 0 works fine) setup goes to UP button and not allowing me to do anything. Tries with latest 2.6 and 3.0b2.

linton149
    Participant

[quote=96289]Please tell me you have found a solution as I have the same issue (new to retropie – just started playing with it yesterday). Have a defender gamepad (http://eng.defender-global.com/products/game/gamepad/game-racer-turbo-rs3/). When I boot up – retropie detects my gamepad. Then when I hold any button to configure I can configure all buttons but instead of going to OK (checked it with keyboard 0 works fine) setup goes to UP button and not allowing me to do anything. Tries with latest 2.6 and 3.0b2.[/quote]

I have the exact same problem as you. Stuck trying to configure controller in emulation station by being stuck at the top of the menu. Feels like UP is constantly being pressed.

I’m using PS2 controller with USB adaptors that worked on a RPi 1 with older version of retropie.

Seems a big bug has slipped in… gutted as I bought a RPi2 to use RetroPie :(

Mark

escher
    Participant

I found out that this is not a problem with the “RetroPie” project, but with the newer Emulationstation versions (2.X).

I’ve already reported this “bug” on the official Emulationstation’s GitHub bug report page: https://github.com/Aloshi/EmulationStation/issues/445

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • The forum ‘Everything else related to the RetroPie Project’ is closed to new topics and replies.