Homepage Forums RetroPie Project Everything else related to the RetroPie Project Can't get any controllers to work correctly

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    kody
    Participant

Full disclosure: I am a total linux noob, and this is the first thing I’ve tried to do with my Pi.

I downloaded the v2.3 image and installed it 2 days ago, following a walkthrough video on youtube. I updated the setup and binaries as instructed, then moved my roms onto the device. I can open emulation station and launch my SNES games just fine. The problem is that my controllers just stop working once the emulator starts.

Sometimes some of the buttons will work, but the d-pad seemingly never does. I’ve run: sudo ./retropie_setup.sh and did the Retroarch controller setup probably 50 times with 3 different gamepads, but it doesn’t seem to do anything. As soon as I get back to ES and run an emulator the controllers just stop working.

I’ve wiped my card and started from scratch 3 times to no avail. Some of the posts I’ve seen to fix problems like this seems to reference a file structure that doesn’t exist in v2.3. Many posts I’ve seen talk about editing the retroarch.cfg file, but I can’t find that thing anywhere.

I tried installing Raspbian on another card, and installing RetroPie on top of that so I could use the GUI to try and find the .cfg files, but I can’t even figure out how to launch emulation station from Raspbian without getting an error.

If anyone can point me in the right direction, I would greatly appreciate it.

Floob

You could try rebuilding it, then without updating the retropie script run the controller config.

kody
    Participant

Thank you for the reply Floob, but I got some help from someone on Neogaf last night who is a lot better with Linux than I am. This is the code that he gave me which worked on my version 2.3 build.

sudo chown pi /opt/retropie/configs/all/retroarch.cfg
    cd /opt/retropie/emulators/RetroArch/installdir/bin
    sudo ./retroarch-joyconfig -j 0 >> /opt/retropie/configs/all/retroarch.cfg

All I had to do was F4 out of emulation station to get to the command line, and enter these three lines. It ran me through the retroarch controller configuration again, but this time it actually stuck.

If anyone else is having trouble getting your controllers to work, give this a shot.

Floob

That hardcodes your joypad to the retroarch main config file. So it will work but would cause issues if you want to swap joypads.

The issue you have had is probably this:

Error with RetroPie Setup scripts

Glad you’re up and running now :)

kody
    Participant

That seems like the case. As mentioned earlier, I’m a total linux noob, but all the tutorial fixes I saw for controllers not working seemed to reference the old file structure that’s in your link.

Hopefully they can get that ironed out. I was getting super frustrated, and I imagine a lot of other people have run into the same problem.

Anonymous
    Inactive

[quote=84374]That seems like the case. As mentioned earlier, I’m a total linux noob, but all the tutorial fixes I saw for controllers not working seemed to reference the old file structure that’s in your link.

Hopefully they can get that ironed out. I was getting super frustrated, and I imagine a lot of other people have run into the same problem.
    [/quote]

Agreed. Most of the “guides” are outdated with old paths so that new users, especially those new to Linux, aren’t getting the help they need.

Either people need to update those guides accordingly, or stop referencing them.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The forum ‘Everything else related to the RetroPie Project’ is closed to new topics and replies.