Homepage Forums RetroPie Project New to RetroPie? Start Here! Cannot Install RetroPie on a Raspberry Pi 1 Model B+

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    ktheawesomest
    Participant

Hi. So recently I found out about retropie and I got really excited and I wanted to try it out. But it does not let me install it(I tried both ways but each had its own problem). So the problem with just writing the image to an sd card and running it was that every time I tried to start it, this would happen(first picture). For this version of installing retropie, I am using a NEXXTECH micro sd HC Class 10(8GB). For the second version of installation, I am using a preinstalled Raspbian micro sd, Class 6(8GB). So the problem for this one is that when I try to run the script:

chmod +x retropie_setup.sh

It says:

chmod: cannot access ‘retropie’: No such file or directory
    chmod: cannot access ‘setup.sh’: No such file or directory

I prefer the raspbian setup, because that means I can select which emualtors I want and don’t want. So please give me an answer. If you want a picture of the raspbian problem, tell me and I will send it.

Please give me a solution.

Also, THANKS FOR INVENTING RETROPIE!!!!!!!

Kiren

herbfargus

https://m.reddit.com/r/raspberry_pi/comments/1mxq4d/nexxtech_class_10_8_gb_sd_card/

Its possible your SD card isn’t supported. I use a sandisk ultra microsd myself and have had no problems.

You can also just start with a fresh SD image and remove the emulators you don’t want from the /opt folder with sudo rm -R /theemulatoryoudontwant

I find starting with the SD image easiest. You may want to test with another SD card if at all possible just to narrow that down as the issue.

ktheawesomest
    Participant

Okay. So I will try a new sd. I want to avoid buying a ne one. I am not sure, but I think that the sd I got preinstalled with raspbian is sandisk. If it is, is there a way to format it safely, and install retropie. I don’t want to waste that sd. The reason I am skeptical, is that the the sd that caused the panic: vfs also caused the same problem with raspbian. So I don’t want to waste it. I will show you a pic of the nexxtech sd raspbian problem if you want. If you want me to, I can attach pictures of both sd’s. Please tell me what causes the panic problem, and of I can safely format the preinstalled sd and put retropie. Thanks.

Kiren

herbfargus

How are you formatting/ installing? I usually use SD formatter to format and win32diskimager to write the ad image.

ktheawesomest
    Participant

I format the sd on windows explorer (documents/downloads/computer/etc.). And I use 7zip to unzip retropie.gz, and I write with win32. It gives some error messages in 7zip while extracting/unzipping, so I wonder if that’s a problem.

Thanks for taking your time to help me! :)

herbfargus

Its possible its corrupting on the download, some people have had similar issues. You can try downloading it with a torrent client like bittorrent or downloading it again directly. After extraction it should be about 2GB

ktheawesomest
    Participant

So should I try with the nexxtech? I will and I will get back to you ounce I try it out. So here are the steps I think I have to do:

1: format the nexxtech sd to factory settings on windows explorer/command prompt(the reason for the command prompt is because when I format the sd it is locked to 56 mb. Using command prompt I can format it to 8 gb. Please tell me if this affects anything. I will be trying this tomorrow morning my time, which is Winnipeg time).

2. Download retropie as a torrent

3. Run it through a torrent downloaded(e.g. Frost Wire)

4. Write it to nexxtech sd using win32

5. Run it on the pi and see what happens.

Tell me if I got anything wrong please.

:)

herbfargus

Just format it with SD formatter or you can just overwrite it with win32diskimager- it won’t show the full SD size because Linux is a different file system windows can’t read, so don’t worry that its 56MB as win32diskimager will overwrite it anyhow.

See this post as it sounds like a similar issue:

Retropie installation problems.

And you can follow this guide installing the SD image i followed it to install it on my pi and it worked fine:

https://github.com/RetroPie/RetroPie-Setup/wiki/First-Installation

ktheawesomest
    Participant

I couldn’t get any useful info from the posts. I am in the middle of trying what you said so I will tell you after.

ktheawesomest
    Participant

Here are the sd(s)

ktheawesomest
    Participant

also, should i us nexxtech?

ktheawesomest
    Participant

IT WORKED!!!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • The forum ‘New to RetroPie? Start Here!’ is closed to new topics and replies.