Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I have an iBuffalo controller and I cannot get it the correct buttons to set. I’ve tried many things, from going through the setup for retroarch (all went well, but when I launch games, nothing has changed) to editing config files through an FTP program.

No matter what I do, the same emulators keep using the same controls. What am I doing wrong/

herbfargus

I’m not sure how helpful this will be but I had two controllers with the same file name but different button configurations so I had to delete one of the files in this folder:

/opt/retropie/emulators/retroarch/configs

might be worth looking into

guybrush3pwood
    Participant

Well I guess my question would be, how does retropie determine which cfg file to use? I know you can set settings differently for each emulator, but you can also set one that applies to all emulators, so where would you change the setting for which cfg file to use?

Mutex
    Participant

It’s defined by the way the emulator executable is called (check the es_systems.cfg). For retroarch it loads the retroarch.cfg in the corresponding system folder. That retroarch.cfg includes the one in configs/all. So if you want to overwrite the button layout you can do it in the system specific config folder. The system specific config also has the variable input_remapping_directory which defines a folder with a new config cfg.

If you want to do it for every retroarch core you can change the auto config file for your controller. Changing the retroarch.cfg in configs/all with a new button layout did nothing for me while the autoconfig was enabled.

guybrush3pwood
    Participant

[quote=92365]It’s defined by the way the emulator executable is called (check the es_systems.cfg). For retroarch it loads the retroarch.cfg in the corresponding system folder. That retroarch.cfg includes the one in configs/all. So if you want to overwrite the button layout you can do it in the system specific config folder. The system specific config also has the variable input_remapping_directory which defines a folder with a new config cfg.

If you want to do it for every retroarch core you can change the auto config file for your controller. Changing the retroarch.cfg in configs/all with a new button layout did nothing for me while the autoconfig was enabled.
    [/quote]

Sounds like I might be in over my head. Might be time to hang it up on this project.

Mutex
    Participant

Its actually not that complicated

just add

input_player1_a_btn=""
    input_player1_b_btn=""
    input_player1_x_btn=""
    input_player1_y_btn=""

to your /opt/retropie/configs/%system%/retroarch.cfg
    (for snes /opt/retropie/configs/snes/retroarch.cfg)

That overwrites the button layout for the first player.
    For the second player you have to obviously replace the 1 with a 2.

And of course you have to add the corresponding button number in between the quotation marks.

guybrush3pwood
    Participant

[quote=92389]Its actually not that complicated

just add

input_player1_a_btn=""
    input_player1_b_btn=""
    input_player1_x_btn=""
    input_player1_y_btn=""

to your /opt/retropie/configs/%system%/retroarch.cfg
    (for snes /opt/retropie/configs/snes/retroarch.cfg)

That overwrites the button layout for the first player.
    For the second player you have to obviously replace the 1 with a 2.

And of course you have to add the corresponding button number in between the quotation marks.
    [/quote]

What numbers do I use? Can I make these edits via an FTP program?

herbfargus

I use FTP (WinSCP) but you can also do it in the terminal.

see Floob’s videos on setting up controllers (he has the same model of controller that you do) They might be useful.

There is also an example config file here:

https://github.com/retropie/RetroPie-Setup/wiki/RetroArch-Configuration

guybrush3pwood
    Participant

I will check that out when I get home. Thanks!

herbfargus

I also just barely updated the wiki- the page on controllers might help give you an idea of things:

https://github.com/retropie/RetroPie-Setup/wiki/RetroArch-Configuration

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • The forum ‘Everything else related to the RetroPie Project’ is closed to new topics and replies.