Homepage Forums RetroPie Project GPIO Adapter, ControlBlock etc. Can I use PowerBlock and GPIO Adapter on one Pi?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    tmfsd
    Participant

Hi.

I want to put my Pi into a Super Nintendo case. I also want to use two original Controllers. That’s what I need the GPIO adapter for. Then again I also want to use the original power button (and the reset if possible), for which the PowerBlock seems perfect. Is there a way to use both? Or is there a way to use the original buttons without the PowerBlock?

Be aware, I’m a total newbie with all this electronics stuff but I’m willing to learn and I did solder once without burning down the house.

Thanks.

tmfsd
    Participant

I guess I could use a Mausberry Shutdown Circuit instead of the PowerBlock, correct?

jsawhi
    Participant

I had the same issue. While it can be done (I did it for my SNES case), I had to solder a couple of pins to the powerblock (see this post: https://www.petrockblock.com/forums/topic/snes-gpio-config-with-power-block/)

Using a different power controller would probably be your best best if you don’t want to solder or do anything like that (and if you live in the US will be cheaper and arrive faster than from overseas).

That said, I have a Mausberry power controller in my N64 conversion console. While it works, it seems a bit more no-frills vs the powerblock. It works, but it’s basic. no LED indication of what’s going on (power up or down), have to solder a pin in for the LED, not a service that runs, just an endless loop script that polls for the switch to send the shutdown command. I like the powerblock better (and it supports the project). The ATXRaspi is another power controller I have in my C64 conversion (yeah, I know) and I like it, but it only works with momentary switches so not a good fit for the SNES/N64 case.

tmfsd
    Participant

Thanks for the answer and the reading material. :)

jsawhi
    Participant

yup… (and make sure to re-read my edits as I added more info)

Not sure why it seems to be such a quiet subject. Maybe they want you to purchase the controlblock instead?? *shrug*

petrockblog
    Keymaster

For your information: The next revision of the PowerBlock (rev. 1.1 and above) will have additional pins that will enable you to use the PowerBlock also without directly attaching it the GPIO pins via the 2×6 pin header.

Revision 1.0 would need some soldering for this right now …

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The forum ‘GPIO Adapter, ControlBlock etc.’ is closed to new topics and replies.