Homepage Forums RetroPie Project Everything else related to the RetroPie Project Can I scrape roms with Emulation Station on PC and transfer to the Pi?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    jeffdamann
    Participant

As the title suggests, I would like to scrape my roms on my PC but transfer it to the Pi Im getting next week. This way I have all the scraping done ahead of time.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

herbfargus

Sselphs scraper doesn’t take much time:

https://github.com/RetroPie/RetroPie-Setup/wiki/scraper

But yes its possible. There is a downloaded images folder with all the images and gamelist.xml files for each system and then you can just copy them over the ones in /home/pi/.emulationstation I believe.

Might want to make a backup first just in case and also make sure emulationstation isn’t running otherwise it will overwrite your changes when you exit emulationstation.

If you need help setting up the pc see this video:

jeffdamann
    Participant

Thanks herbfargus. I am using emulation station because even though it takes time, and I have fullsets for every system, I need to do it manually so that it doesnt mess up things like the Dragon Warrior series for nes. All 4 of them would have been made Dragon Warrior 3.

It takes forever, but I’ve divided the work between 3 people, doing fullsets for every system retropie supports. I ought to finish in a few days.

I was just wondering because I don’t want us to do all this work and then not be able to transfer it over. I didn’t see a reason why not, but I don’t have a pi on hand yet to test it out.

Also, can you tell me or point me somewhere that will show me any emulators that don’t support zipped roms, so that I can make sure to unzip them before scraping them?

herbfargus

Personally I prefer to keep the images and gamelist xml files in the rom folder so I can just copy them over each time without needing to rescrape each time there is an upgrade

jeffdamann
    Participant

how can I access the home folder? All I get is bios, configs, roms, and splashscreens over samba shares

redfarmer
    Participant

Use WinSCP for example and connect to the IP-adress of your pi. User/pass is pi/raspberry. Through samba you can only see a few chosen paths.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The forum ‘Everything else related to the RetroPie Project’ is closed to new topics and replies.