Homepage Forums RetroPie Project Everything else related to the RetroPie Project Call "Binary-based Installation" directly

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    rascas
    Participant

Hi

Is there a way to call “Binary-based Installation” directly from terminal, without the need of opening the dialog GUI ?

This would be usefull to update various installations at the same time by using a automated script. (no need to wait for the menu to open and have to press ENTER)

Thanks

rascas
    Participant

Even if there is no option to call the “Binary-based Installation” directly, is there a way that i can do this in the end of a bash script in a way that no user intervention is required ?

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi perhaps I am being a bit naive when I suggest this but that setup thing is just a script / set of scripts as far as I know.

The source is https://github.com/RetroPie/RetroPie-Setup . You could just see what they do and create a script to run whatever you wanted instead. You could for example get the git repository and create your own script to run (instead of retropie_setup.sh) to do what you need.

I’ve only looked briefly at the scripts to see what version of moonlight it was using. Anyway, to me seems quite trivial to do.

rascas
    Participant

Well, im aware of RetroPie-Setup github page and maybe thats where I should have posted this in the first place.

I already saw the scripts in Github, and I know that there is some modules that can be called directly without running the GUI but this option seems to no be one of them. But I am not sure since my skills in bash are somewhat limited, and there are lots of functions that call another scripts. I tried to make a script already, calling sudo ./retropie_setup.sh with some sleep options and emulating a ENTER key press but with no success but is very likelly that I was doing something wrong.

I will try again to do it myself, any suggestions how to do this are appreciated.

Thanks

Anonymous
    Inactive

My advice to you would be to develop your bash in stages. You shouldn’t just write it all in one go (more likely to make mistakes) and if you are still having issues you can paste it here. I personally hate bash scripting but I can do it because of work. The makers of RetroPieSetup though will be able to help you here so I would attach your script.

I’d still have a go yourself though. Presumably you have some coding knowledge otherwise you wouldn’t be trying it :)

rascas
    Participant

Well i think I have done it, and you were right, it wasn’t that hard. I was tired and sleepy on Monday :P

Just made this script that I will include in the end of another one:

#!/bin/bash

cd /home/pi/RetroPie-Setup
    . /home/pi/RetroPie-Setup/retropie_packages.sh
    . /home/pi/RetroPie-Setup/scriptmodules/system.sh
    . /home/pi/RetroPie-Setup/scriptmodules/helpers.sh
    . /home/pi/RetroPie-Setup/scriptmodules/packages.sh
    . /home/pi/RetroPie-Setup/scriptmodules/admin/setup.sh

setup_env
    rp_registerAllModules

function printMsgs() {
        local type="$1"
        shift
        for msg in "$@"; do
            [[ "$type" == "dialog" ]] && echo "$msg"
            [[ "$type" == "console" ]] && echo "$msg"
            [[ "$type" == "heading" ]] && echo -e "\n= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =\n$msg\n= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =\n"
        done
    }

binaries_setup

exit

EDIT: Substituted the end dialog messages for terminal ones, so no any user intervention is required.

petrockblog
    Keymaster

no need to do that :)

just do

sudo ./retropie_packages.sh setup binaries

which calls the “binaries” function of the setup module.

it will show a dialog at the end though – maybe I can change that so it only does a dialog if run directly from the gui.

petrockblog
    Keymaster

ok. I have added a new env variable.

if you do

sudo __nodialog=1 ./retropie_packages.sh setup binaries

all info dialogs will instead just use echo and output to terminal.

rascas
    Participant

Thanks, much easier that way :D

petrockblog
    Keymaster

Sorry I hadn’t committed the change – it’s now done so updating retropie-setup will get you the new code.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • The forum ‘Everything else related to the RetroPie Project’ is closed to new topics and replies.