Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    taalas
    Participant

Hi everyone!

Since the forum didn’t seem to want to post my last topic I will try again ;)

I recently started using RetroPie on my new Raspberry Pi 2 and I am loving it so far. I do have some problems though which most likely are not connected to RetroPie at all but I thought it would make sense to ask here if anyone had experienced something similar or could give any advice.

I am using a brand new Raspberry Pi 2 with a Samsung 16GB micro SD card, both ordered from ModMyPi at stock speeds. Most of the time all works very well, every 10th boot or so the Pi won’t go to the RetroPie splash screen but instead will show 4 Raspberries in the top left corner and won’ resume booting. When this happens errors occur with the mmcblk device (waiting for hardware interrupt and blk i/o errors) which makes me think that either the SD card or the reader are faulty. Upon reboot all seems perfectly normal most times though. I would post the log but haven’t found a way to access it yet after the reboot.

Do you have any advice about what to do/try about this?

Thanks!

Floob

I think it may be the SD card – do you have another?
    Is this the v2 image of RetroPie, and your PSU has 2A rating?

taalas
    Participant

Hi Floob,

yes, it is the RetroPie image for the Pi 2 and I am using a power supply that should be sufficient. It is one of the ModMyPi compatibility rated ones.

I don’t have another micro SD card, but I could order one, since I was planning to have a spare to try other distros on the Pi. If the card is faulty I will RMA it with ModMyPi.

If I just clone the card to another one it doesn’t have to be the exact same card, right? Do you have recommendations?

herbfargus

I have a 32gb and a 64 GB sandisk ultra microsd card. They have both served me well. I got them both off of amazon. As long as your clone isn’t larger than your new microsd card it should work just fine. See this site for a list of compatible cards:
    http://elinux.org/RPi_SD_cards

taalas
    Participant

Yeah, it seems that the Samsung Evo cards don’t play well with the new Pi 2s. What I am uncertain about is whether I should just copy my data to the new card or rather reinstall everything for fear of data corruption somewhere on the card…

Floob

Thats weird, the EVO is working well on mine.

Here is one way to backup:
    http://smartretro.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=58

Did you say it is a 2A PSU, previous Pis didnt need as much and used a 1 or 1.2A typically. It should say on the plug.

taalas
    Participant

Yes it is a 2A PSU.

I am not sure what is happening with the card but I ordered another one (a Sandisk Ultra this time) to see if that improves the situation. I am doing most of my card imaging in OS X so cloning it to the new card should not be a problem. My question was more in the line of: should I be afraid that the data on my old card is corrupt or is it more of an access problem and I keep using the data on the new card…

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The forum ‘Everything else related to the RetroPie Project’ is closed to new topics and replies.