Homepage Forums RetroPie Project Everything else related to the RetroPie Project bluetooth keyboard + ps3 controller. about to give up

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    nessejay
    Participant

i had this dream of my rpi running retropie with only a bluetooth usb device conntected for internet and keyboard/mouse combo, power cord, and hdmi AND the bluetooth keyboard connect at start up. it also has a track pad which is awesome. i easily got the wifi to work and after a ton of work i finally got the keyboard to work AND work on boot using bluez tools (those tools need work). suddenly the ps3 controller i had configured doesn’t work anymore (usb connected). hours of work down the drain. i went through the process in retropie tools of re-connecting and configuring it to no avail. now the keyboard dosn’t work and bluez tools throws errors. i am starting over today from scratch. are those bluez-tools conflicting with my ps3 controller. I have experience with linux but sometimes i just can’t help but feel linux makes extremely simple things momentously complicated and difficult. has anyone gotten a setup like this to work?

nessejay
    Participant

BTW I only intended to use the PS3 controller via USB. I would do bluetooth but seeing as how attempting to do that butchered bluez-tools and what I had already set up I might just stick with USB

orangejuice
    Participant

[quote=87950]BTW I only intended to use the PS3 controller via USB. I would do bluetooth but seeing as how attempting to do that butchered bluez-tools and what I had already set up I might just stick with USB[/quote]

The bluetooth package used by RetroPie-Setup is QtSixA. The post here:

Using the latest bluez for PS3 bluetooth (how-to)

dicusses how set up bluez but says nothing of removing qtxisa. I believe you could have had your bluetooth keyboard working as well as bluetooth PS3 controller with the latest bluez version (see the thread linked above). However I’m quite certain that running the set-up script definitely hosed your bluez install.

If you look at the qtsixa manual at:
    http://qtsixa.sourceforge.net/manual.pdf

The authors even state (on page 3) that it is propably incompatible with bluez going back to bluez 4:

[quote]Another thing worth knowing is that sixad uses a different bluetooth method than the new BlueZ 4.xx stack (present on
    many recent distros), so they will probably conflict each other.[/quote]

I’m about to make the jump to try and install the latest bluez and remove the qtsixa stuff. I actually don’t want to use a keyboard at all, but I made my wireless SNES controller using the bluefruit ez-key and it shows up as a keyboard. I want that to be my first controller input and then I’ll use a PS3 controller as the second (preferably via bluetooth as well).

Have you had any luck so far?

EDIT: This user has apparently been unable to get to the bluez 5.12 that is purported to have built-in sixaxis support:

bluetoothctl; bluez5

Also, it appears to me that without bluez you cannot use a bluetooth keyboard on retropie (someone please correct me if this is false).

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The forum ‘Everything else related to the RetroPie Project’ is closed to new topics and replies.