Homepage Forums RetroPie Project Controller Configuration in RetroPie Bluetooth gamepad paired and connected, and now?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    gianiaz
    Participant

Hi, I have a new raspberry pi 3 with retropie3.6-image installed on it.

I’ve done the update script and then paired my gamepad with the rapsberry (i can see it in the active connections list in setup menu).

And this is the controller:

After pairing I don’t know what to do, the gamepad is completely ignored by emulation-station.

I’ve tried this guide:

https://github.com/RetroPie/RetroPie-setup/wiki/Setting-up-a-Bluetooth-controller

but at point 2 referes to a file I don’t have, and to an attribute (device name) I’m not sure how to get.

Any help?

Thank you

rkrick99
    Participant

in emulation station you need to configure the input in the menu screen. When i configured my ps3 controller i had to have a usb controller plugged in first and then after pairing i needed to press start and go to configure input. It should say 2 joy pads detected. I held the A button down on my ps3 controller and it found the controller and then I setup all the buttons. After that I was able to use it.

gianiaz
    Participant

Are you saying that I have to buy another ccontroller? :(

rkrick99
    Participant

you can use a usb keyboard if you have one common keys should be
    A = X
    B = Z
    Y = A
    X = S
    Start = ENTER
    Select = R-SHIFT
    Shoulder left = Q
    Sjoulder right = W
    D-pad left = left
    D-pad right = right
    D-pad up = up
    D-pad down = down

gianiaz
    Participant

I know, the keyboard is working.

I’m new to retropie, is it possible that a paired bluetooth gamepad doesn’t work? Maybe there’s some config file to edit?

meneerjansen
    Participant

If your controller is paired then you might be able to configure it “the regular way”:

– Make sure you’ve got a keyboard or controller connected that Retropie “has recognized”
    – Press: “Start” (or Enter on the keyboard if that’s configured to work as a controller)
    – Go to: “Configure input > press “A” on the controller (or X on a keyboard)”.
    – Follow instructions on screen, i.e. hold a button on the BT controller to configure it.
    – If RetroPie does nothing after pressing a button on your controller then it might not be not be registered as a controller or input device via bluetooth.

gianiaz
    Participant

Pressing the button on the bluetooth device does nothing.
    I can see the bluetooth device paired with name “gamepad” inside the retropie configuration script.
    In shell I can see the j0 in /dev/input/.

meneerjansen
    Participant

[quote=122239]Pressing the button on the bluetooth device does nothing.
    I can see the bluetooth device paired with name “gamepad” inside the retropie configuration script.
    In shell I can see the j0 in /dev/input/.
    [/quote]
    My tips and questions:

Install the package ‘joystick’ w/ the Linux command on the command line:

sudo apt-get install joystick
    Now test your joystick(s) w/:

jstest /dev/input/js0
    And press some buttons on the controller. You should see some reaction. Remember: if you’ve got more than one controller the bluetooth controller may be js1 or js2.

If ‘jstest’ proves that the output of the BT controller is actually received by the Pi then register the controller in Emulationstation w/ the procedure I described above. Realize that a BT connection my be quirky. Sometimes a BT connection stops and starts in my experience.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The forum ‘Controller Configuration in RetroPie’ is closed to new topics and replies.