Homepage Forums RetroPie Project New to RetroPie? Start Here! Best way to access hidden folders via a computer?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    mikeveli20
    Participant

What’s the best way to access folders such as .emulationstation from a computer in order to transfer files back and forth? For instance, I want to change a couple of the images that were scraped with other ones I’ve downloaded. Currently I’m plugging a usb into the computer, copy files to usb, unmount usb, plug usb into pi, ssh into pi, copy files from usb to pi, unmount usb, plug back into computer, repeat. Is there any easier/more streamlined way to do this?

Omnija
    Participant

WinSCP

InsecureSpike
    Participant

or for Mac, FileZilla or CyberDuck

jeffdamann
    Participant

Finally I gained some knowledge to help another user here on the forum.

To enable full access to your pi via Samba Shares for editing from a Windows computer:

Enter this in the terminal

sudo nano /etc/samba/smb.conf

Then go to the very bottom of the configuration file that command brings up, and enter these parameters.

[pi]
    comment = pi
    path = "/home"
    writeable = yes
    guest ok = yes
    create mask = 0644
    directory mask = 0755
    force user = pi

Reboot the pi and you should be able to now access a folder called pi, giving you full access to everything in the home folder on the pi.

I havent tried it, but for true full access, entering a path of “/” should work…

EDIT: I just tried all the folders since I claimed full access to the home folder, but some folders will not be able to be accessed. I have tried several times to post a link to the information you need, but everytime I include the link, my message is deleted from this thread. Search google for Samba Shares with Windows ACLs, and that will bring the page up with the information you need.

Im going to take a nap because I’ve been working all day. If you need permission to access other folders and figure out how to do it, please tell me here, otherwise I will figure it out when I wake up.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The forum ‘New to RetroPie? Start Here!’ is closed to new topics and replies.