Homepage Forums RetroPie Project New to RetroPie? Start Here! Basic Question on SD Card Image

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi, I’m new to most Linux/Raspberry Pi stuff, and I’ve ordered what I need for RetroPie.

My question is:
    When I plug in the image to the Pi (I have an SD reader), will I need to keep that SD card in to use RetroPie, or will I be able to just put it in once and then remove it?

I’m asking this because the reader I have is communal, and I won’t be able to keep it forever.

Thanks!

herbfargus

The raspberry pi doesn’t have built in storage- so the microsd is your operating system and harddrive essentially. So yes- you’ll need to keep the microsd in there if you want it to run.

You can get microsd cards and card readers for pretty cheap online.

The card reader is only needed to install the image from a laptop. You don’t need it afterwards as you can plug the microsd directly into the raspberry pi.

Anonymous
    Inactive

My Pi only has 1 SD Slot – filled by the OS – is there a peripheral you’d recommend?

herbfargus

I just use a 64gb sandisk ultra SD card and it is enough for my needs. Other people will run games off a USB stick or the network. I find it easiest just to keep everything on the SD card. As far as card readers go – you can get them anywhere, most will work. When you create the SD image it creates the boot portion with your OS but also has space for ROMs after you expand the filesystem with sudo raspi-config

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The forum ‘New to RetroPie? Start Here!’ is closed to new topics and replies.