Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hi everyone,

I’m building a cabinet and have been looking for a way to automatically rotate the screen for vertical games. I can physically rotate the monitor but can’t figure out the proper settings to set to set the orientation to vertical for older games such as pacman or galaga automatically. Thanks for the help!

caver01
    Participant

If you are using advancemame, you can add this line to the advmame.rc file:

vertical/display_ror yes

that will rotate the vertical games RIGHT, you could do this instead

vertical/display_rol yes

depending on which end is up.

dfumosa
    Participant

Thank you, that worked like a charm! Spent quite awhile looking for that option. I am using advmame now, not sure if I’ll need the other mame emulators for any games but it does look like the options I need are there if I ever run certain games on them.

Thanks again for the help!

caver01
    Participant

something to keep in mind that I have to deal with once in a while. . . There are vertical 2-player games like 1941 that have the players side-by-side. This won’t work if you don’t have two sticks on one end. For those, you have to UNDO the command above for individual games like this: 1941/display_ror no, assuming you want that. My trackball, for example, is on the horizontal side, so I need to undo the rotation for games like Centipede.

Also, this may be of use to you–on my cocktail style cabinet, I have vertical controls on opposite ends, and if I set the cocktail-mode dip switch for many classics vertical/input_dipswitch[cabinet] cocktail, the screen auto-flips to player 2 on the other end! Again, you may have to reverse this for certain games. Not all games even have the dip switch, but for those that do, like pac man, donkey kong, frogger, etc., this can come in handy. This control layout also works great for Tetris, just like I remember.

dfumosa
    Participant

awesome, thanks for all the information. good to know i can change settings on a per-game basis. This is a standup cabinet so for now I won’t need cocktail mode, but I wouldn’t mind replacing my coffee table!

Once I finish building the cab, I may try and find a way for my raspberri pi to send a signal to an arduino when it does rotate the screen, have my monitor automatically rotate. Make things real convenient.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘Video Output on RetroPie’ is closed to new topics and replies.