Tagged: 

Viewing 13 posts - 106 through 118 (of 118 total)
  • Author
    sselph
    Participant

There isn’t a way for the script to pull different boxart. The options are pull the image from thegamesdb or use the one available locally. As Floob mentioned, if you are able to get a good set of PAL images you can name them to match the pattern the scraper is using and when it scrapes it will see that the image already exists and skip downloading it.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks. I do actually have a complete collection of PAL Megadrive box art, i did try and name them the same as the rom files, created a ‘images’ folder in the megadrive rom directory but for some reason they never showed up in emulationstation!

killer101
    Participant

You still have to use the scraper to create the gamelist. Without the gamelist ES will not show any boxart at all. Be sure to use the right switches with the scraper. For me it worked out great.

Anonymous
    Inactive

what switches do i want to be using?

Would it be possible to have the scrapper rather than look online for the covers to actual look in a folder on the PC of your choosing?

Only reason i ask as its a fair bit of work to, have the scrapper download all the art offline and then having to rename all my local boxart (on my pc) to the roms names and the replace the boxart with my own boxart??

Unless anyone knows of a program that can look in 1 folder for file names and then rename files in folder 2 to replicate the file names in folder 1?

doedeer
    Participant

First of all, a huge thank you to Sselph for his continued efforts and assistance.

I have encountered a slight error with this scraper, or rather, an EmulationStation viewing error.

While browsing my roms list via ES, the topmost rom’s artwork / data are not displayed until I hit L Trigger on my controller.

This behavior applies to all of my systems.

Any ideas on how to overcome this presentation-oriented error?

I am on RPi2 / RetroPie 3.0 Beta 2

Much appreciation.

robertybob
    Participant

[quote=107739]+

[/quote]

Post of the year !

tmar89
    Participant

I have a question about naming in the XML. I’ve tried the default and the -use-no-intro option. The question I have is about the (USA) and similar extras that get added to the title. When I use the built in scraper to RetroPie, it produces only the game title and no extras. Is there a way with this scraper to just get the title and not extra info like region?

ie, Tetris and not Tetris (USA)

robertybob
    Participant

[quote=107809]I have a question about naming in the XML. I’ve tried the default and the -use-no-intro option. The question I have is about the (USA) and similar extras that get added to the title. When I use the built in scraper to RetroPie, it produces only the game title and no extras. Is there a way with this scraper to just get the title and not extra info like region?

ie, Tetris and not Tetris (USA)

[/quote]

I think this scraper does it because it uses the no-intro data, whereas the built in scraper manually searches thegamesdb.net.

I just open up my .xmls and find and replace the (USA) (En,Fr,De) etc – only takes a matter of minutes.

sselph
    Participant

You can use -use_nointro_name=false to use what is listed in thegamesdb which would omit the region. Another way, as robertybob mentioned, is to post-process the file something like the following to find things in parens and remove them. I haven’t fully tested this but I think it will work.

cat gamelist.xml | sed -e 's/<name>\([^()]*\?\)\( (.*)\)\+<\/name>/<name>\1<\/name>/' > gamelist-new.xml

tmar89
    Participant

[quote=107852]You can use -use_nointro_name=false to use what is listed in thegamesdb which would omit the region. Another way, as robertybob mentioned, is to post-process the file something like the following to find things in parens and remove them. I haven’t fully tested this but I think it will work.

cat gamelist.xml | sed -e 's/<name>\([^()]*\?\)\( (.*)\)\+<\/name>/<name>\1<\/name>/' > gamelist-new.xml

[/quote]
    Thanks, I heard from someone else outside this board about using -use_nointro_name=false. I just wasn’t using it correctly because I didn’t add “=false” to the option.

And in the mean time, I did end up writing my own script to remove anything with “(…” or “[…” in the title names yesterday. So double thanks!

One last question if you don’t mind. When the scraper doesn’t find a title in the hash, is there a way to manually search for it? I didn’t see an option or I just missed it.

sselph
    Participant

Not in the current version. I think you can use the built in scraper that has an option to only scrape games that don’t have an image. And that has an option to tweak the search if something isn’t found.

tmar89
    Participant

[quote=107863]Not in the current version. I think you can use the built in scraper that has an option to only scrape games that don’t have an image. And that has an option to tweak the search if something isn’t found.

[/quote]
    Thanks, that’s what I currently do.

rafaelr
    Participant

Great tool !

Viewing 13 posts - 106 through 118 (of 118 total)
  • The forum ‘Everything else related to the RetroPie Project’ is closed to new topics and replies.