Homepage Forums RetroPie Project Everything else related to the RetroPie Project Atari 2600 Stella locks up after exit

Tagged: 

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    vectormatt
    Participant

Hello,

I have a Raspberry Pi Model B+ (B PLUS) 512MB. Atari Stella runs great and I believe I have the latest version. The only issue I have is it locks up when I quit to go back to the menu. The only way to recover is to power-cycle the raspberry Pi. Does anyone have a fix for this issue?

Thanks,

Matt

proxycell
    Participant

does this affect all of the roms you tried?

i’ve tested a lot of roms on it and nothing seems to break yet

vectormatt
    Participant

This seems to be a problem with any of the roms. I use emulationstation to bring up the Atari2600 menu – select a game – then hit esc to go to the menu and it freezes. I attached some info on the processes and error messages I found while it’s in that hung state.

grassmunk
    Participant

I’m having the same problem. Works fine with the genesis emulator but Atari just gives me a blank screen.

Edit: I was having this problem with zipped roms. Once I unzipped all my roms and deleted the zip files it all worked fine. Just FYI for anyone who runs in to this problem.

woodsy
    Participant

I’ve come across this bug too. I’ve been setting up Retropie over the last few days (using the Retropie script, binary-based installation option). All other emulators seem fine and return back to emulationstation without trouble. Stella is the only one that hangs.

I don’t have any zipped roms in the stella rom folder, but the folder has lots of roms in it. When I get a chance, I’ll try eliminating most of the roms in the folder to see if there’s a bug pertaining to the contents of the rom folder.

Anyone else have any insight?

woodsy
    Participant

Stella is still crashing for me, even with only a few roms in the folder. However, atari emulation seems like it’s working fine if I put the roms in the 2600-retrolib directory and use that emulator.

sur0x
    Participant

same problem, I got a blackscreen after exit the rom, never gets back to ES.
    anyone have a clue about this?

petrockblog
    Keymaster

HDMI or composite ?

What is your default video resolution ?

If you have the latest retropie-setup script, please try

sudo ./retropie_packages.sh runcommand
    sudo ./retropie_packages.sh stella configure

and try again. if you get a black screen then go to launch it, but press x or m on the keyboard a few time before it loads and you should get a video output settings. you could try setting it to your native screen resolution. You should probably then do

sudo ./retropie_packages.sh dispmanx

and turn on dispmanx sdl for this emulator. it should then nicely scale up to your native resolution.

sur0x
    Participant

@buzz HDMI , 1080P

How can I turn on dispmax sdl for the emulators?

petrockblog
    Keymaster

there is an option in the “Setup” menu or use

sudo ./retropie_packages.sh stella configure
    sudo ./retropie_packages.sh dispmanx

as mentioned above. note you will have to have updated your retropie-setup script first. if it has been some time since you updated, you will need to do a new binaries install as emulator paths have changed.

sur0x
    Participant

I already updated like last week, I guess it’s up to date. I’ll try asap.
    thanks.

vectormatt
    Participant

That seems to have fixed my issue with Stella locking up after exiting. I’m using HDMI Thanks!
    One other question I have that may or may not be related to this. If not, I’ll start a new post. When I start up a game like Asteroids, why do the colors get so dim? If I hit tab and go into the stella config, the game colors will get nice and bright like they should. This is not the case with most other Atari 2600 Stella games. Seems to be Asteroids and maybe a handful of others.

sur0x
    Participant

@buzz now it’s working, after press x when loading rom and changing to 1080p for every emulator.

petrockblog
    Keymaster

the only issue you might have now is performance – but with dispmanx enabled for those emulators that use the framebuffer with no acceleration, they should do better at 1080p (hardware upscaling via dispmanx sdl). that is of course if they render to a reasonable lower resolution first.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • The forum ‘Everything else related to the RetroPie Project’ is closed to new topics and replies.