Homepage Forums RetroPie Project New to RetroPie? Start Here! Anyone overclocked Pi3 for retropie yet?

Tagged: 

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    raymate
    Participant

Anyone overclocked it yet, I hear it can take 1350 without issues.

Not tried it yet, wanted to get a feel from the members here if it’s worth doing.

What settings did you use if you did, what emulators improved?

Thanks

MRKane
    Participant

Am also keen to hear about this – my primary is N64 so call overclocking and performance a “special” interest ;)

Anonymous
    Inactive

Im overclocking mine at 1350 sdram_freq=500 with little issue. N64 sees a big bump, not as good as ps1 but Majora’s mask is 99% there and shadow of the empire is a lot better, Dreamcast is pretty good too.

zerojay
    Participant

Are you using any heatsinks? Did you need to increase voltage?

joyrider3774
    Participant

you might want to run something like “while true; do date && vcgencmd measure_temp && vcgencmd measure_clock arm && sleep 2; done;” in an ssh terminal when overclocking and running demanding games, if you overclock too high witouth proper cooling and i do not mean heatsinks alone then you might hit the temprature throtlling limit of 80-85 which lowers your cpu frequency and thus speed of the rpi3.

just blindy overclocking withouth checking this with demanding emulators is not that good of an idea.

about heatsinks in my opinion they do not really help, they seem to help but in almost all video’s i saw people don’t wait long enough to reach the temprature threshold. Eventually with heatsinks the same temp will be reached (when you are doing of course the same thing with the pi3) but it just takes a bit longer to reach that threshold.

The best thing is heatsink + fan a heatsink is not very effective without fresh air transported in and hot air transported out.

so the only positive side imo of heatsinks is that it takes more time to reach the same tempratures which depending on the action your doing could have an impact but if doing things like make -j4 when the 4 cpu’s are stressed 100% it doesn’t matter much just takes longer to reach the threshold.

my stock pi3 reaches 79°C while sitting in my picade playing tekken on ppsspp for a while so no small closed case but plently of room surrounding my pi3.

ah well i just wanted to point out it that it might be a good idea to monitor temprature and cpu frequency while overclocking and running demanding games and no 2 rpi3 are the same due to silicon diffrences which make some pi reach higher temps doing the same thing

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘New to RetroPie? Start Here!’ is closed to new topics and replies.