Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    ff8jake
    Participant

Hello,

I am curious, is there a higher horsepower alternative to the Raspberry Pi 2 that Retropie works with? I have a heavily overclocked Pi 2 currently that pulls off crt-hyllian at 1080p, but I am curious what other shading effects I could pull off with more powerful hardware. If you have an alternative, what kind of performance gains/loss did you see?

If not, is there an easy to use distro similar to retropie but for x86/64? I think I have a laptop I can cannibalize for the effort.

Thanks!

Floob

Have you tried this more lightweight shader?

crt-pi a Pi2 friendly CRT shader

Or you could try overlays

ff8jake
    Participant

[quote=110626]Have you tried this more lightweight shader?[/quote]
    The heavy OC lets me pull off crt-hyllian @ 1080p with no framerate loss currently (with the exception of some banding if a PSX game renders at certain resolutions), and it looks a bit better than the lighter weight alternatives like in the video, but I will give the plugin a shot to see it in person.

I am wanting to use a deluxe shader setup, think crt-royale or crt-hyllian-glow. An example of what I am getting on my PC here: Imgur Link. My Pi 2 looks just like this, except no glow. I understand there’s a shader that adjusts the scanline width (crt-hyllian does, or at least looks like it), but it’s just not the same. The colors don’t bleed into each other smoothly. Also it doesn’t have enough juice to filter away the banding on those odd PSX games that have it.

At this point my next step will be to heatsink the crap out of my Pi and wire up a fan, but I would like to avoid noise and I’m not sure it would be enough. :)

Floob

Do note the video doesnt show that shader I linked to, its really good though.
    Some examples are here, it includes quite a cool barrel effect

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The forum ‘Everything else related to the RetroPie Project’ is closed to new topics and replies.