Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Participant

First off, Retropie is fantastic, and I really appreciate the hard work of everyone who contributes to the project!

For anyone who wants to play Retropie in a vertical orientation, it’s a well documented problem that rotating the whole system in /boot/config.txt causes performance issues.

However, Retroarch and MAME4all-pi both allow rotation in their configs, so if there were a way to rotate the EmulationStation GUI (system/game select), we would be all set! The command-line wouldn’t be oriented correctly, but I think this would be a fair trade-off for improved performance when playing games vertically.

I’m not sure how easy this would be to do, or if it’s even possible, but I thought I’d put it out there! :)

petrockblog
    Keymaster
    brainfever
    Participant

Okay, so from what I can see someone was working on it, but it never got finished (they were trying to rotate 180 degrees, though I’m referring to a 90 or 270 degree rotation … same idea though).

I’m not a programmer, but would this not be something worth looking at in the future as a built-in option? Since this is the area where we can suggest further enhancements, I just thought it would be a good idea, since it would make Retropie a bit more versatile for arcade cabinet applications.

Again, I’m very appreciative of everyone’s hard work :)

petrockblog
    Keymaster

yeh – different rotation, but the code would be adjusted in the same manner – however unless it ever becomes part of upstream ES i doubt we will ever add it as an option.

koogar
    Participant

yep seems a pretty obvious feature to me, I share your portrait pain.

I even posted about it on the ES forums

http://emulationstation.org/forum/index.php?topic=6979.0

Maybe it will be a feature by the time we have a RPi4 :)

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘Ideas for Further Enhancements’ is closed to new topics and replies.