Homepage Forums RetroPie Project New to RetroPie? Start Here! A piece of overclocked pi thanks!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    zastrow
    Participant

Hey guys, i just on board the whole Raspberry Pi thing and got myself pi2!
    i have been fiddling around with it for a couple of days now, and its great! love it so much, i red some where that you should have 320vram, for the psx games to have 100% (my tekken 3 is slowed down some like maybe running at a 75%-80%) problem is i cant seem to set it to anything but 256/256 in the mem split :/
    i run spyro and crash bandicoot easily but tekken 3 seem to slow down a lot, wonder if this is just the game, of if it’s on my end in form of not having overclocked it “enough” i got a passive heatsink on the CPU, in a vert breathable case.
    i hope you guys can help a “new-pi” out :)
    thansk alot in advance
    -Zastrow

ronoh55
    Participant

I’m curious where you read this about the memory split.

As far as I know, none of the emulators use much vram as they don’t take advantage of gpu processing, and your split should be pretty solid at default (128/896?) You can go into the rasberry pi setup and set your overclock to the “Pi2” setting with no problems if you haven’t already. I’ll grab my tekken 3 and test it with my current settings and see if I get any slowdown.

herbfargus
    ronoh55
    Participant

Tekken 3 seems to run perfectly on my pi2 with these settings. I unfortunately don’t have access to a ps1 and copy of the game at hand to compare with.

gpu_mem_256=128
    gpu_mem_512=256
    gpu_mem_1024=256

overscan_scale=1
    arm_freq=1000
    core_freq=500
    sdram_freq=500
    over_voltage=2
    gpu_mem=64

If I’m reading that correct (Herb or Buzz confirm please) My memory split is at 64, and the rest was set by setting my overclock to the “pi2” setting I mentioned above.

herbfargus
    zastrow
    Participant

i already OCed it to pi2, and have tried all splits with same results, again only tekken 3 is the problem :/ all other games run flawless

ronoh55
    Participant

Maybe it’s the rom? I had no problem with it. I’m not even running a BIOS for it right now. You are running the latest Retropie (3.2.1)? Have you tried using any of the other emulators for tekken to see if that could be a solution?

According to HerbFargus’s first link
    gpu_mem_1024=256
    overrides
    gpu_mem=64
    so I’m at 256 split, so if you have that in your config.txt for boot, that could be why you aren’t seeing any changes with changing the split.

smithers
    Participant

Are you seeing a rainbow coloured square in the top right corner of the screen whilst playing? If so then you are having power issues, i.e. your Pi is not getting the power it needs to perform from your power supply.

I use and recommend minimum (genuine) 2amp power supply. I had slowdowns with SNES, MAME, PSX etc. when I had a bad quality PSU (it was marked as 2amp but performed worse than a 1amp spare I had!). Swapping it out to a genuine 2amp psu instantly solved all my problems and all 23 systems run pretty perfect now.

zastrow
    Participant

nope no rainbow at the top, i got an “official 5v 2a power supply, i managed to get tekken 3 to run okay now, but now all of a sudden crash bandicoot just wont recognize the controller at all…. all other games will, and it worked perfectly last time…

nosedeath
    Participant

“Are you seeing a rainbow coloured square in the top right corner of the screen whilst playing? If so then you are having power issues, i.e. your Pi is not getting the power it needs to perform from your power supply.”

That’s what that means? I get the raindbow too. Everything seems to run fine though.
    I’ve been running off the USB port on my computer. Maybe I should run straight off an outlet?

redhalo
    Participant

USB 2.0 is supposed to max out at 500mA, 3.0 at 900mA. The recommended power supply for a Pi2 is at least 1.8A. Incidentally, because of these standards many cheaper/older micro-usb cables don’t use thick enough wire to handle enough current for the Pi, creating a possible situation where you have a 2A wall charger but are still power starved.

This is dumb that it is this way and very difficult to figure out unless someone tells you. I wonder if there was a way to tap into the alert on a Pi2 and present a more meaningful message than a rainbow square. I almost feel as if this info should be presented when setting up Retropie.

Omnija
    Participant

A lot if not most times getting a shorted cable seems to fix the issue. I originally was using an a tablet charger but got the rainbow image. So i went to buy a new one from the store i got the pi from. I came back home and had the same issue, so i simple changed the wire to a shorter one and it fixed the issue.

Also this
    1000 0 467 467 0 0 0 OK (multi-test) 867 1410 2.146s

seems very stable and i haven’t any problems with those setting while overclocking.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • The forum ‘New to RetroPie? Start Here!’ is closed to new topics and replies.