Homepage Forums RetroPie Project Ideas for Further Enhancements A few assorted suggestions

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Just a few thoughts after mucking with this thing for a while. The first three are all obviously related.

– The default save file and save state directories shouldn’t be the same as the rom directory. Combining them makes it harder than it needs to be to work with the rom collection, since you have to manually select saves or roms for whatever operation you’re performing. I prefer to keep mine in /home/pi/RetroPie/saves/. In the case of a retropie update or reinstall, this lets me backup my save files without fussing with my roms, which are already backed up elsewhere. It also lets me do whatever I want to my rom folder without worrying about losing that 76 hour FFIV save or whatever. A samba share for the new default directory would be ideal.

– You can set up a custom saves and/or save state directory in configs/all/retroarch.cfg. However, all systems will dump into the same directory, even if those properties are set again in their system-specific configs. Not sure if I’m doing something wrong here, but it seems like the inherited value isn’t being overwritten.

– This might already be implemented, but I’m not sure how to use it if it is. The retroarch.cfg system should have an alias for the current system’s name tag from es_systems.cfg. This would let you easily setup system-specific subdirectory structures for, for exmaple, the saves directory suggested above, that mirror the rom directory structure. Something like “savefile_directory = /home/pi/RetroPie/saves/%systemname%” would get you set for all systems, without editing every system specific cfg.

– There should be a samba share for the /etc/emulationstation/themes folder. No big deal, but this would simplify creating and installing themes a little bit.

– I would love to see Neo Geo Pocket / Color support!

Floob

On this point:

====
    – You can set up a custom saves and/or save state directory in configs/all/retroarch.cfg. However, all systems will dump into the same directory, even if those properties are set again in their system-specific configs. Not sure if I’m doing something wrong here, but it seems like the inherited value isn’t being overwritten.
    =====

Can you attach an example of your custom system specific retroarch.cfg file (and say which system it is)?
    Or put it on pastebin.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Sure! For most of the ones I’ve setup, I literally just added the save directory lines. Here’s my entire snes cfg, for example:

#include "/opt/retropie/configs/all/retroarch.cfg"
    # All settings made here will override the global settings for the current emulator core
    input_remapping_directory = /opt/retropie/configs/snes/
    video_shader = /opt/retropie/emulators/retroarch/shader/snes_phosphor.glslp
    video_shader_enable = false
    video_smooth = false

savefile_directory = /home/pi/RetroPie/saves/snes
    savestate_directory = /home/pi/RetroPie/saves/snes

As I understand it, as long as the #include is up top, it should override stuff that’s redefined, but it doesn’t seem to?

That directory did exist, and with 777 permissions. I couldn’t tell you who the owner was though, as I’ve since deleted it. I suppose that could be part of it?

I should clarify that despite this, snes saves are still being written to /home/pi/RetroPie/saves/, which is what this value is set to in the configs/all/retroarch.cfg.

Floob

Please put your custom lines above

#include "/opt/retropie/configs/all/retroarch.cfg"

Can you confirm if that works?

Its odd, but it seems to process anything above the include after the main retroarch.cfg.
    Although, if you dont have a value set in your /all/retroarch.cfg then setting it below the include in the system/retroarch.cfg works fine.

thefoxhole
    Participant

I would like to see the ability to pick rom based on filename not the scraped metadata. My collections meta data is wacked out.

Floob

[quote=95694]I would like to see the ability to pick rom based on filename not the scraped metadata. My collections meta data is wacked out.
    [/quote]

Please open a new thread – as this doesnt seem related.

Suggestion to get support with your problems

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The forum ‘Ideas for Further Enhancements’ is closed to new topics and replies.