Homepage Forums RetroPie Project Controller Configuration in RetroPie 2 identical USB, odd behavior

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    worryface
    Participant

I just installed rp 3.3.1-rpi2 on a RP2B+. I connected 2 identical iBuffalo USB SNES joypads and configured the first through the emulation station startup configuration menu.

Both controllers work for the NES emulator. All buttons and the D-pad for the first joypad work – including hot keys – and control player 1. All buttons and the D-pad for the second joypad work – *excluding* hotkeys – and control player 2.

The problem is mame4all. I’ve configured the controllers through the mame UI. The mame UI correctly identifies the controller and input in that when I press a button on the second joy pad the mame UI reads and correctly assigns the button as J2 Button 0+,0-,7, or whatever. But the player 2 controller doesn’t work correctly. Mame correctly identifies and executes as assigned the input from the [select] and [start] buttons of the second joypad, but it doesn’t use the D-pad or other buttons to control player 2. The D-pad and buttons from joypad 1 control the second player.

I’ve tried hard coding the input through retroarch.cfg. I get the same behavior. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

worryface
    Participant

Just tried a 2 player game (Mario) where there are two simultaneous players. Both controllers work, and control the correct player. That is, controller 1 controls Mario and controller 2 controls Luigi.

worryface
    Participant

Solved

I now understand this is the correct behavior. Games where there are not two simultaneous players will only ever use the input for controlling the character from a single controller. Like they would in the cabinet. There would only be a single set of controls. The reason the select and start worked from the second controller is that they were mapped to coin2 and 2p-start, which cabs with a single set of controls would also have.

Obvious enough now. Maybe this will save someone some time, though.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The forum ‘Controller Configuration in RetroPie’ is closed to new topics and replies.