Homepage Forums RetroPie Project Controller Configuration in RetroPie 3.2.1 Bug? 2 controller issues after upgrade

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    rdhanded2
    Participant

I have been using Retropie for months now and have everything setup and working fine. I have 2 cards, one I upgraded and 1 I put a clean image on and they both have the same issues.

1: When I exit a rom back to the gamelist it starts scrolling up. I have to hit a dpad button for it to stop. Happens every time I exit any emulator and it happens on all my controllers, so it is not just 1 with the issue.

2: My start button has stopped working for some nes games. It works with select to exit, but it does not work in game. Example, if I load Super Mario Bros I can not select 1 or 2 players to start the game, the start button does nothing. If I load Super Mario bros and Duck Hunt I can use start to select SMB, but them I can not select 1 player with it to start the game. I happens with both nes emulators.

This was not happening at all until the update for me. Am I just overlooking something simple or has anyone else experienced this? Any help is appreciated.

rdhanded2
    Participant

I just rewrote one of the cards I have to an older image and the scrolling disappeared and start button works in all nes roms so it has to have something to do with the new update.

redfarmer
    Participant

I don’t have a solution but just wanted to say that i am experiencing both these issues myself.

rdhanded2
    Participant

Glad it’s not just me, as crappy as that sounds for you. lol

rdhanded2
    Participant

Can anyone confirm if this is a 3.2.1 bug that everyone is experiencing or is it just redfarmer and I. I am surprised I have not seen more posts about it if it is a bug.

petrockblog
    Keymaster

post (via pastebin.com or similar)

/opt/retropie/configs/all/retroarch.cfg
    /opt/retropie/configs/nes/retroarch.cfg

if ES is moving on its own, it sounds like your controller may be sending presses through. You could test with “jstest” from a terminal to see if the joypad is sending presses when you are not using it.

rdhanded2
    Participant

I have tested with jtest and it is not sending any presses. I have 2 retropie setups. 1 with 3.2.1 and 1 now with 3. The 3 image works fine, the the nes roms work fine, and the menu does not scroll after exiting the a rom. It is in a dedicated snes case. I remove that card and put in the 3.2.1 image and the nes roms stop working and the menu scrolls after exiting a roms every time. Swap the cards back and issues stop. I also have a dedicated nes pi build in a nes case. Same thing when swapping cards and this is with 8+ different controllers. Only happens on the 3.2.1 build, and it happens each time I write the 3.2.1 image.

petrockblog
    Keymaster

nothing has changed in ES that I know would cause this. I will need to see your configs though (and the contents of ~/.emulationstation – ideally the configs from the working image and the non working image.

do you have different kernel versions on the images (uname -a) – if so does the old image still work fine if updating (sudo apt-get update; sudo apt-get dist-upgrade) ?

rdhanded2
    Participant

I will get those posted when I am home tonight. How do I check the kernel versions?

petrockblog
    Keymaster

uname -a

from a terminal (as written in brackets in previous post)

rdhanded2
    Participant

Gotcha. I will get that when home. Thanks again.

rdhanded2
    Participant

Alright, I checled them and the kernels were as follows

Kernel for 3
    Linux retropie 3.18.11-v7+ #781 SMP PREEMPT Tue Apr 21 18:07:59 BST 2015 armv7l GNU/Linux

Kernel for 3.2.1
    Linux retropie 4.1.12-v7+ #825 SMP PREEMPT Fri Nov 6 18:36:38 GMT 2015 armv7l GNU/Linux

I updated the 3 kernel and now it is
    Linux retropie 4.1.13-v7+ #826 SMP PREEMPT Fri Nov 13 20:19:03 GMT 2015 armv7l G

Since the update it now has the issues the 3.2.1 image had, scrolls after exiting emulators and some nes roms have issues.

petrockblog
    Keymaster

sounds like there is a kernel issue with your controller. You can use rpi-update to downgrade the kernel on the newer retropie image – might be worth googling for your controller and the kernel version in case it’s a known issue. Which controller are you using ?

rdhanded2
    Participant

http://www.retrousb.com/product_info.php?cPath=21&products_id=44&osCsid=5db5274fe2f80445647dfca4b075c5cc

the retrousb controller so I can plug in original snes and nes controllers. Shows up as

RetroUSP.com Retropad

rdhanded2
    Participant

Thanks a ton for your help. I reverted back to the old kernel on both images. The 3 is working again. The 3.2.1 still has the scrolling and nes issues.

petrockblog
    Keymaster

odd that upgrading the kernel on 3 would break it, but downgrading kernel on 3.2.1 wouldn’t make a difference.

Without this hardware though it’s going to be hard to advise further.

rdhanded2
    Participant

This is weird. After I reverted it was not working. I turned the pi off for a while. When I came back it was working correctly. I started Super Mario Bros just fine. When I exited it did not scroll on it’s own. I played for a few and power cycled it. When it came back on nes no longer works right and it scrolls again after exiting a rom. Does it somehow auto update and that broke it again?

petrockblog
    Keymaster

it doesn’t.

petrockblog
    Keymaster

just to rule it out, have you tried with another PSU ? Just want to make sure it’s not something weird relating to that (which just happens to be triggered by the newer kernel etc).

rdhanded2
    Participant

The 3 image works fine with the older kernel but the 3.2.1 image is weird. If you power it off completely it will work but if you go in to change settings or use a terminal to access it then it stops working correctly and the scrolling and nes problems start. The only way to make it work again is a hard power off. Using the menu to restart does not fix the issue.

rdhanded2
    Participant

I have another power supply, l;et me try that.

rdhanded2
    Participant

I have another power supply, let me try that.

rdhanded2
    Participant

Tried a couple different power supplies and same issues.

HoustoneD
    Participant

Are there some pins you can run a jumper between to do a full discharge of the residual electricity on the motherboard? Several times, i have had customers bring their computer in to be fixed, and it works again by time they arrive, since the system has had time for the residual electricicty to drain.

It is the same principal as unplugging it and holding the power button for several seconds.

I know this isnt the solution, but this could be used to troubleshoot and find the root cause.

redfarmer
    Participant

I’m starting to believe in wizardry because the problem has gone away for me (knock on wood). I honestly can’t remember if the problem was in v3.2 or 3.2.1 but it works now. About the difficulties pressing start in NES-games i usually just needed some patience because waiting for 30sec or so after starting the game usually let me press start. Very strange…

rdhanded2
    Participant

houstoned, I have 3 pis that I have tried it on and all have the same issues so it is not a pi issues I don’t think.

chesterjt
    Participant

Just wanted to say I’m having the same issues. RPi2, running Retropie 3.2.1. The game that doesn’t work for me is RBI Baseball. Select doesn’t work in game so I can’t make it a two player game, start works fine. I’ve tried both xbox360 wireless controllers and a simple usb keyboard. Doesn’t matter what Select is bound to it doesn’t work, yet works fine in other games and works perfectly with Start+Select to exit. I just got my RPi recently so I’ve only ever used 3.2.1 and can’t comment on how it might have worked in past versions. I know it’s not the rom or the emulator because the exact same rom file works perfectly in Nestopia on the PC.

Edit: Only older image I could find was RetroPie 2.6, Select still doesn’t work in that version either.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • The forum ‘Controller Configuration in RetroPie’ is closed to new topics and replies.