Homepage Forums RetroPie Project New to RetroPie? Start Here! Is it necessary to run the update if you are installing from the latest image? Reply To: Is it necessary to run the update if you are installing from the latest image?

footwo
Participant

Hey! Thanks for replying. Good to know about the update!

Wrt retroarch, it just doesn’t seem to work. I’ve tried with a generic snes USB pad, and only the d-pad, SELECT, START, A & B work. X, Y & shoulder buttons dont. I’ve also tried a ps3 controller wired and that just goes haywire.

Both these pads are detected just fine in jstest so I know they work on the pi. Apparently the stock configs that come with the image are causing problems:

https://github.com/retropie/RetroPie-Setup/issues/795

So I’m going to try a fresh install, then delete all the configs, then run retroarch setup.

Thing is, I’m building this as a birthday present for my niece and I want her to be able to use the right pads for the right systems, or as far as possible anyway. I’m thinking a snes pad would work fine for the 8bit and 16bit consoles (as well as atari, c64 etc) whilst a ps3 controller would suit other systems with more elaborate controllers.

Is that possible? To configure retroarch as the master controller to use a ps3 pad, but then override individual emulators (nes/snes/megadrive etc) to use the generic snes style pad?

Retroarchs configs are all over the place and I find it a bit confusing :D